Hardwired Gauges

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Hardwired Gauges

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Have a tach and temp gauge im installing that will be wired to scooter battery, looking for advice on best place to wire into for accessory on power. Should I wire into the ignition? I think the green is acc hot and black/white is acc neutral? or is there someplace else that is preferred?

Thanks

Per request here is the links to gauges.

Temp Gauge
Temp Wire

Tach Gauge There is there one Ebay Gauge which i believe is the exact same for cheaper but i hadn't tried that one.
Last edited by FunkeyMonkey on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Hardwired Gauges

Post by vintagegarage »

Funkey,
I'm assuming you are talking about the SA50 in your signature. If so, then green is universal ground (battery negative) everywhere on the scooter. I refer you to the wiring chart on page 18.1 in your service manual for the wiring chart. Red is the universal hot wire (battery positive), and the red ends up at the ignition switch always hot. If I am reading the chart correctly, when you turn on the key, the red is directed to the black wire, and the black wire runs to the back of the scooter to turn on the tail light. The black wire also runs to the front of the scooter to many places, including both brake light switches, the horn switch, and the turn signal relay. You can pick up green (-) pretty much anywhere on the scooter. Depending on where you end up mounting your gauge, you can pick up black (switched +) from the wire to the tail light in the back, or more likely, if you are mounting your gauge near the speedometer cluster, you can pick up black up top, from either brake light switch or anywhere you find it under the handlebar cover. I think that would be cleaner than messing around with wires at the ignition switch.
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Re: Hardwired Gauges

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Thanks vintage, I had it backwards and that solved the problem. Still trying to figure out exactly how i want them mounted but threw this together tonight in about 30 minutes. Gotta say im pretty impressed with the gauges so far, picked up temp gauge and about 8 feet of the cht wire for $16 and tach gauge for $15; love Chinese sellers on ebay/amazon.
Attachments
P_20160827_202702.jpg
P_20160827_202702.jpg (88.61 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake