Someone explain this....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Someone explain this....

Post by MentalJunkyard »

So, I've been riding my recently purchased '96 SA50P a bit, and fixing a few little problems with it. It has had some inconsistencies, which seemed to be due to a loose air cleaner. The front mounting lug was cracked, and the rear bolt was missing.. so last night, I installed a new OE air cleaner housing (just the inner part) and new mounting hardware. I hop on it to go to work today, and it had NO power. Any time I gave it throttle, it would bog down, lose power, and die if I didn't ease off. Tonight, I took it all back apart, rechecked everything, all looked good, even verified that it looks the same as the old housing. Reassembled... no change. Put the OLD housing back on after safety wiring the broken mount back together, and, at least on a quick lap around the parking lot, it is back to running normally. Am I missing something, like some hidden internal difference in the air filter, or does my Honda just not like change?
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Re: Someone explain this....

Post by Meloshameless »

Try using the old filter, it's density matters. Sounds line the new one is getting to much air. Or soak the filter in 2 stroke oil. With new filter on try turning the air screw in (to the right) if this helps ur power then that confirms its to much air.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

The filter itself was not changed, only the rear airbox, and the filter is new as of a few weeks ago. That's what is so weird about this. With the old housing on, it runs great. With the new one, twist the throttle, revs will pick up for a second, and then it bogs down and loses power. As far as I can tell, the two airboxes are identical.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

MentalJunkyard wrote:The filter itself was not changed, only the rear airbox, and the filter is new as of a few weeks ago. That's what is so weird about this. With the old housing on, it runs great. With the new one, twist the throttle, revs will pick up for a second, and then it bogs down and loses power. As far as I can tell, the two airboxes are identical.
Your carburetor must be "tuned" to the old, leaky air box. Try cleaning and re-tuning the carburetor, and as you disassemble it, inspect the jet size as to be certain of it's correct-ness. If that does not help, just post back here again.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861