Nb50 no start bad bistarter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

RossDerer
Noob
Noob

Nb50 no start bad bistarter

Post by RossDerer »

Hey guys so I've been having some trouble with my 84 areo 50. After looking at a few different areas I've come to the conclusion that my bi starter is not working at all. I've done the battery test on it and it doesn't seem to change or "grow" at all. Where might i be able to find a replacement for one of these? All the units I"ve seen for sale do not seem to be for the same year as my unit. the one in my carb has a locking nut. Could i just convert it to a manual choke and buy lets say a mukinni vm 18? any help would be awesome thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Nb50 no start bad bistarter

Post by Meatball »

I would check all other reasons on why it wont start before buying a bystarter. I've heard of them going bad, for sure, but its not typical. I bet its something much simpler than that.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
RossDerer
Noob
Noob

Post by RossDerer »

ive checked for compression and spark and fuel. 2 strokes only need compression spark and fuel to run....?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You tried pouring gas down it?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Could be petcock, reeds, air leak, gummed up pilot circuit/float valve or emulsion tube, air box/filter related, on and on...even something simple as an 0-ring on your bystarter or intake/carb spacer would wreak havoc. Fuel mixture screw in the proper place? idle screw? Plug sparks but is it correctly gapped? Check everything big and small.

True that all any engine needs to run is fuel, air, compression, spark, etc. However, the correct amount of each one is vital. Too much or not enough of anything and she wont run.

Personally, I run through everything until Ive eliminated potentially simple repairs. With these motors its usually something small and easy. Its always best to be absolutely sure about needing a part before buying. Nothings worse than buying that new part and it still didn't fix the problem.

Ive even heard of the run/stop switch going bad on a guy's bike and he bought tons of engine/carb parts trying to get it to run. Motor was fine the whole time and it was just some frayed wires!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

RossDerer wrote:I've done the battery test on it and it doesn't seem to change or "grow" at all.

Could i just convert it to a manual choke and buy lets say a mukinni vm 18?

You have done well, and yes, that by starter is toast if it does not extend when connected to 12 volts.

Converting to Mikuni will be costly, and will require some adaptation for mounting and cable attachment, not to mention air filter.
I have no info for finding a replacement unit, but suspect it can be found.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

motormike wrote:
RossDerer wrote:I've done the battery test on it and it doesn't seem to change or "grow" at all.

Could i just convert it to a manual choke and buy lets say a mukinni vm 18?

You have done well, and yes, that by starter is toast if it does not extend when connected to 12 volts.

Converting to Mikuni will be costly, and will require some adaptation for mounting and cable attachment, not to mention air filter.
I have no info for finding a replacement unit, but suspect it can be found.
Bystarter no doubt post a wanted ad in the buyer section.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
RossDerer
Noob
Noob

Post by RossDerer »

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm a moped guy but bought a scooter for my girl friend it was running awesome but then just cropped out one day. Mopeds are slightly more simple then scooters and will run poorly as long as they have fuel air and spark but not at all if the choak is stuck in the on position. Dose any one know of a way I can bypass the by starter just to test it. It seems as though mine is stuck if the extended position so off I would assume?
blake05
Noob
Noob

Post by blake05 »

I also had a bad bystarter on a 1984 aero, I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. You cay buy a whole new carb on ebay, but it isn't original. I ended up just taking out the bystarter pin component and disconnecting the electric to it. Essentially it is always "warm". Probably not ideal, but my scooter wouldn't start and now it starts right up - revs a little high at first but starts always.
RossDerer
Noob
Noob

Post by RossDerer »

What exactly did you do to remove the pin. Cut it?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

A bad bystarter will usually be stuck in the enrichment mode or the cold mode. So it shouldn't affect starting. You can test which spot the bystarter is in with an ear syringe from the drugstore. Poke it in the air feed hole on the filter side of the carb and if air flows freely its in the cold position. No air flow its in the run/warmed up position. Manual versions of the spree style bystarter are available. The nb50 I think uses the same bystarter as the spree.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock