Excessive oil in top end?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Re: Excessive oil in top end?

Post by patthesoundguy »

This is a sort of common spree issue. Over long periods of time you get seepage from the oil tank through the pump filling the bottom of the crank case with oil. Pull the motor out of the frame, pull the top end and turn it upside down to drain it. You may not need to ditch the pump it may work just fine it may have just seeped oil when it was sitting at one point. The pumps usually work fine it when they sit for long periods sometimes they can seep some. Don't ruin a perfectly good pump grinding the teeth off until you are 100% sure its toast.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Buy a oil plug dont grind your pump someone will buy it. Also a oil plug will increase crank case pressure, when you geind the teeth off you lose a lot of pressure then if you get it to hot while your grinding on it, it can cause the shaft to warp.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

OK, it's back among the living! I pulled the pipe/muffler and hung the scoot by the rear wheel.
Sprayed carb cleaner in spark plug hole and cranked it with the starter(many times-someone on here suggested
3-second bursts in order to not burn up the starter. That flushed out the oil enough so I could get it started(on pre-mix)
I also BBQ'd the muffler while it was off. The first time it fired the neighbors thought the garage was on fire from all the oil burn-off
After that cleared I ran it down the block and it got up to an indicated 28 mph, so I'm happy.
After a few laps the oil pump started doing its thing, so I'll drain the pre-mix and run it as Honda-san intended.
Thanks, you guys, for the suggestions, and for this Forum. btw I bought a filter and a plug to give a tiny bit of pay-back.
No trees have been killed in sending this message, but a large number of
electrons have been inconvenienced
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Right on!
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

A new issue: The bolt that holds the oil pump to the engine is tight, but there is some movement.
I can wiggle the pump a bit. Your thoughts?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

missing oring on the oilpump
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

eclark5483 wrote:Best guess is it slowly seeped from the pump reservoir down into the engine. That's what makes the most sense anyway.
This. I've personally seen this on stored bike. Slight leak in oil pump completely filled bottom end. I stupidly put engine back together like this thinking it would burn off. :crazy:

I ended up removing the engine and jug and inverting it to drain most of oil, leaving it overnight. That fixed issue after it had run a bit.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

MrJumps wrote:missing oring on the oilpump
OK thats probably why it's a little 'wet' in the area. Good clue.
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

noiseguy wrote:
eclark5483 wrote:Best guess is it slowly seeped from the pump reservoir down into the engine. That's what makes the most sense anyway.
Noiseguy wrote: Slight leak in oil pump completely filled bottom end.
Thanks, to both of you for the explanation of where the oil came from
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

Do you guys think it is necessary to remove the top end couldn't you just remove the oil pump and flush the bottom end with pre mixed fuel and just dump it right back out the oil pump hole ?
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Agreed wwolvert, i used that exact method when i first got my scoot that had suffered the exact same problem. Just stood it up on its nose while holding the front brake on to drain the oily 2 stroke out of the crankcase through the oil pump hole. Pretty messy but quicker than pulling the motor
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

My Spree had the same issue, but mine was so full of oil from sitting that you could kick it once and it would hydro lock. It had been sitting with fluids in it for about 5 years. All I did was pull the spark plug out, stuffed a rag over the spark plug hole, then gently pushed down on the Kickstarter. Then I used the electric starter, cranked it over for about 10 seconds (No compression so there's not much of a load on the starter) Did that 2 or 3 times, let the starter cool for at least 2 minutes each time, then hosed down the block with carb cleaner to get the oil that dripped and didn't get soaked up by the rag. Carb cleaned the spark plug, stuck it in, cranked it over, kicked a while, cranked again and it came to life.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.