Excessive oil in top end?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Excessive oil in top end?

Post by 50ccMax »

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge of these little Sprees.
A little background on mine: I got it not-running from an Estate-the owners son told me it needed a coil and had no spark. Well, it
had spark, but was getting no fuel. Since it had been stored for years with fuel in the tank, I tore apart and cleaned the carb the tank was very clean inside. It wasnt gunked up like you would expect, but
there was an oily substance thru-out. After putting it back together, I started on the lack-of-fuel problem. Even sucking on the vacuum side of the petcock produced no flow,
so I let it sit with Berrymans in the inlet side a few days. Encouragingly it came back to life and fuel filled the carb. Now, just to make sure I wasnt wasting my time, I primed the cylinder with a tiny bit of gas, and it fired right up. Cranking it with the starter didnt have the same result so I checked the plug. It was wet with oil(not gas and oil-just oil)
I burned off the oil with a tiny butane torch from Harbor Freight
http://toolmonger.com/2009/03/23/hot-or ... cro-torch/
and primed again thru the spark plug hole. Same result-ran a few seconds and died-same oily plug.
I dont have a compression tester that fit in that tiny space, so I put my finger over the hole and cranked it a few seconds-there's compression and my finger was extremely oily.
This looks like maybe 2-stroke oil-possibly from the injection pump? but the hose from the pump is empty( I dis-connected it to make sure that wasnt the source.)
Removed muffler-only the usual amount of 2-stroke combustion inside(I hung it so it would drain any oil-nothing came out overnight)
Short of hanging the scooter upside-down to drain it, You guys got any ideas how to remove the oil in the cylinder?
I have sprayed carb cleaner in the exhaust port and spark plug hole, and cranked it over, but that doesn't seem to make any difference in reducing the oil amount.
Possible clue? I checked the level in the 'transmission' case-behind the belt, found it was low(I couldnt tell HOW low)
Is it possible that's the source thru a leaky seal?
2500 miles on the Spree-engine looks like its never been apart.
Sorry for the l o n g post-Im trying to bypass all the questions: "Did you try this..."?
Last edited by 50ccMax on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No trees have been killed in sending this message, but a large number of
electrons have been inconvenienced
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Excessive oil in top end?

Post by Meatball »

Wherabouts on the left coast are you?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

The oil in the rear case is suppost to be at 90ccs total and is 4t oil 10w 40 motocycle oil and the oil in the motor that is showing up on your plug is 2 stroke oil. It may be that your pettapfueltap is bad, pull the gas line off your carb and see if fuel flows freely without vacume on the vaume line.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

Mrjumps, the petcock shuts off as it should-fuel only flows when vacuum is applied.
Its possible the Previous Owner was using pre-mix(the oil pump doesnt seem to be pumping) I realize there is only a tiny bit of oil from the pump, but the hose to intake is completely dry.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

When the oil pump is removed, theres a stem that comes off of it with gear teeth on the tip. Those gears mesh with teeth on the crankshaft and is ultimately driven by the rotation of the crank. It has been somewhat normal practice for people to bypass the oil injection system(then using pre-mix in tank) by pulling the oil pump and grinding the teeth off on the pump shaft to render it inoperable. Theres no way to know if this has been done to your scoot unless you pull out the oil pump and look at the gears. If the gears are still intact and your pump lines are still dry, your pump is bad. Either way, make darn sure youre not running without oil. Even if theres a 1 inch air bubble in your oil line there would be a period when your engine would see no lubrication. Run it with no oil and youll be a proud owner of a Honda Boat Anchor!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Seems to me, best solution here, is dump the pump and run premix. To get the correct amount, Just take a gas can, put exactly 1/2 gallon in it, then put in 60ml of 2 stroke injector oil into it, shake it up, pour into the tank. This will give you a 32:1 ratio. I'm not sure exactly how much the pump normally puts out, but from all the testing I have done so far, it seems like it puts out 32:1. If you want, you can go a tad leaner with the oil and put in 55ml into a half gallon, and this will give you 35:1. If it seems the pump isn't pumping, then don't take it to chance.. ditch it. Do like Meatball was saying, grind off the gears of the pump so it no longer works. Once you get it running, most of that residual oil should blow right out the exhaust after running for a few minutes, but by all means DO NOT run it without lubrication!! You may need to BBQ the muffler as well to get any built up deposits over the years burnt off.
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

Meatball wrote:Wherabouts on the left coast are you?
Im in Oceanside(North San Diego County)
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

Meatball wrote: Run it with no oil and youll be a proud owner of a Honda Boat Anchor!
I can deal with pre-mix in the tank..but I still have to get rid of the accumulated oil to get it to run...
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

eclark5483 wrote:Seems to me, best solution here, is dump the pump and run premix.
But I still need to deal with the excessive oil thats lingering BEFORE it will run ...Ideas??
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Syringe with a tube attached down into the plug hole maybe??
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

eclark5483 wrote:Syringe with a tube attached down into the plug hole maybe??
That may work..thanks
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

Im still baffled as to the source of all this oil...???
The petcock was stuck in the closed position and this oil is much thicker than pre-mix.
Assuming its from the mixer tank, how did it get to the cylinder?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

50ccMax wrote:
Meatball wrote:Wherabouts on the left coast are you?
Im in Oceanside(North San Diego County)
That's a bit too far from Seattle for a house call. :smile:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

50ccMax wrote:Im still baffled as to the source of all this oil...???
The petcock was stuck in the closed position and this oil is much thicker than pre-mix.
Assuming its from the mixer tank, how did it get to the cylinder?
Best guess is it slowly seeped from the pump reservoir down into the engine. That's what makes the most sense anyway.
50ccMax
BMX
BMX

Post by 50ccMax »

eclark5483 [/quote]Best guess is it slowly seeped from the pump reservoir down into the engine. That's what makes the most sense anyway.[/quote]
Thats the only thing I can think of also..but it was inside the carb too. If the tank leaked, it would go into the manifold side of the carb, no??