Replacement Clutch & Springs

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Replacement Clutch & Springs

Post by eclark5483 »

Gonna have the clutch repadded. Guessing the springs are probably shot too. Now I have heard rumors and talk.. can anybody confirm... will Yamaha JOG springs work on a Spree clutch, will it make a difference? Is there a better alternative? How about the contra spring? Belt?

What I am using now is just a stock belt. Obviously with the Taz gears I don't wanna go with an AX24 and lose even more bottom end.

Anybody have a new one they wanna sell me so I don't have to wait for turn around time on the repadding service??
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Replacement Clutch & Springs

Post by MrJumps »

Take a red ebay contra and cut it down 1/3 I did this and it worked wonders kept it low until about 3k and was super easy to get the front wheel up with a little lean.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Meh... don't think I wanna do any hacks on it, although I might consider it for the other Spree. What I did, was just bought a used one off of eBay, when it gets here, I'll send it in to get repadded. When it comes back, I'll replace clutch springs and contra spring. Just need to know what my options are. I know Jog springs come in 1000,1500, & 2000 rpm. What I'm wondering is which ones would more then likely make the Spree all it can be given that I'm using Taz gears. Same thing with the contra.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

The jog spring still has to be cut, the triplets are gonna be hit or miss the jog clutch weighs difrently and is rated at a certain weight. Your gonna wanna get a red contra and cut 1/3 off it and for your cclutch springs I would get the mid grade bite rpm triplets and hope they work.

So maybe a tight contra with 1000 rpm triplets.

Im 90% cetain the jog contra I ordered didnt fit the middle assembly it was a tad too big and would cause damage if ran as is. You may be able to take the spring to the grinder and make it fit but then it would be way weak and probably would break. The gy6 contras are too large like the jog ones I believe.

But yeah buy a few give it test and ill be waiting to hear. I just swapped my clutch pack with a dio clutch pack and then put in a medium cut contra.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote:for your clutch springs I would get the mid grade bite rpm triplets and hope they work.

So maybe a tight contra with 1000 rpm triplets.
Jog, or is there another option? As far as I know, Spree springs (which I would prefer) are not available. Given that it only has 1 speed, I'm thinking the wiser move would be go with 1000 rpm engagement springs. Something stiffer might affect the takeoff with such higher gearing.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

As an addendum to what I just wrote, remember, this is going into my boy's scoot. I don't want to complicate any modification work too much. Keeping the solution simple and readily available will help not only him, but anyone else who is seeking to replace/fix these scoots. So while I do appreciate your suggestion, I wanna keep it as easy and feasible as possible for anybody and everybody. Obviously clutch springs for a Spree are an issue for alot of people. Even the guys who keep the engine stock. They eventually will run bad and will need replaced like any given moving parts. Mine has a history of abuse, so a bad clutch is not to be unexpected.

ALSO... from looking at back articles. Leo Vince springs seem to be popping up. Not seeing any springs on their website though.. just mufflers... but I can find them on eBay from the UK...hmm... Now WHICH ONES?? Maybe these>?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331475908975

I'm gonna order a set and find out...

Edit: optionally, after looking at the following topic, one can just go with some 1000rpm KOSO Jog springs from eBay from a US seller.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =4&t=28049

Cheaper and will get here quicker. Looks to be pretty straight forward.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321664161049

Will report back results. Now for the contra... which one for trimming?? Link?? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
Last edited by eclark5483 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Gonna attempt something experimental here.

I ordered the following contra:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191641710582

So jumps says trim 1/3rd off.. fair enough, but what if I DON'T trim it? Will it fit? Will it work? Will a 1000rpm Jog spring untrimmed give me the equivalent of a 1500 Jog spring that has been trimmed?

Who knows.. but I'll at least attempt fitment and see what happens. Gonna throw this on Stan at SS Collision & Cycleworks. That guy is a motorcycle god!! I trust his opinion 100%. We'll see what he thinks. If he says trim it too, then that's what we will do.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

That 1000rpm spring may act like a 4000 untimmed check it to the size and queeze of the orginal and trim until it is firmer but not a ton more then the qorn stock one.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Guess what I wanna shoot for is a 1500rpm equivalent. I am ASSUMING that if it is compared to the size of the old spring, it should be trimmed just a little bit longer then a worn one to compensate for normal loss of rigidy (is that a word ), I'm sure you know what I'm saying though.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Yeaah springs loose tension and will never return once beoken jn but they normally only settle a little from factory. I personly rather a only gear system springs are a pain, rollers arw a pain, but cvt give max power from the begining, something gears cant. Whoch is why dios will wreck a vespas s*** anyway of the week.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Which is ALSO the reason I don't dare try 1500 or 2000 rpm springs. Not on a Spree. That's just asking to burn up the clutch just for an aggressive takeoff. I'd much rather it take off right at throttle. Personal preference too I suppose. Maybe if it was running stock gears I might have different thoughts on that.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Since the Spree is unvariated, the center spring's ONLY job is to maintain belt tension. If the spring is too light, the belt may slip in the pulleys. If the spring is too stiff, it increases the friction and stress on the belt, potentially overheating it. Plus a stiffer center spring may tug too hard on that front pulley, crank end, and bearing. You can determine spring stiffness using a bathroom scale and a set compression distance. See Hee-Yah.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So your saying just press down on the scale till it just touches the sockets (what height is that BTW, socket heights vary depending on brand). And whatever lbs it is read on the scale that's how much compression it's putting out... Hmm, I like that method. So what stiffness should I shoot for do ya think? All I'm seeing in the service manual (page 77), is that the service limit is 68mm (2.7in). Nothing on stiffness. That would, of course, change depending on spring type (blue/yellow/red). That's why I went with a safe bet blue contra.

But then, isn't even the BLUE contra just a bit stiffer then stock?? That's always been my understanding.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'd get an eyeball measurement of the length of the spring installed in the pulleys. Then I'd look around for something - I just happened to use sockets - like a block of wood or just about anything. Then I'd measure the stocker and get a reading as the scale just kisses my object - wood block or whatnot. Finally, I'd measure the aftermarket item and make sure it's in the ballpark. Once again, I see no advantage in going super-stiff, and lots of possible downsides.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

graphite9 wrote:if you give me the mm of the springs, I can sift through my collections. I have polini, malossi, you name it. tons of them
Height or circumference/diameter?