Throttle Cable Installation

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Throttle Cable Installation

Post by schwarz633 »

This 1994 Elite S SA50P has been de-restricted by the PO. I purchased a 1996 Elite OEM Keihin carb with Y-style throttle cable on eBay. I was advised on this forum that the clone carb I had was a POS. The Keihin carb had a 68 jet in it and the clone carb had a 78 jet. Both jets were marked with the Keihin logo to the left of the numbers. I couldn't visually see where the 78 looked any bigger than the 68, maybe the 68 had been drilled out. I swapped the 78 over to the Keihin. I'm perplexed about installing the Y-style throttle cable in that I don't see how you adjust it after you've got it threaded through the chassis and connected to the carb. Do I disconnect brake cable and stop switch so that I can rotate the throttle housing to adjust the cable?
Wheelman-111

Re: Throttle Cable Installation

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you can tell the size difference between a 68 and a 78 by your eyes, then you have a sharp eye indeed. Indexing wire is a much more accurate way to determine it. Harbor Freight sells a set of tiny drills and a digital micrometer for a few bucks more. Measure the wires, then gauge the jets.

Sorry I haven't seen a stock cable in a long time, but usually there's a threaded cable housing fitting at the handlebar. Often there's a second adjustor block inline somewhere. Once the desired slack is achieved at the carb, you adjust the oil pump cable with a fitting on the bracket by the pump.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

The cable has a threaded rigid 90┬░ sweeping elbow with a jam nut at the handlebar end. I don't see how you can thread this elbow in/out of the grip housing to make an adjustment once the cable is routed through the chassis. And it seems like it needs to be routed through through the chassis and connected to the carb in order to make an adjustment.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Leave the throttle cable routed thru the scooter as you have it. Disconnect at the carb/oil pump, and install handlebar end first being careful not to cause binding in the cable itself, then install at carb/oil pump. Three full turns into the handlebar housing is usually close enough.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

Got a new y-cable from Taz on eBay. Very nice assembly, and it has an inline adjuster on the grip end. My old y-cable didn't have that, the only adjustment was the threaded rigid 90┬░ sweeping elbow with a jam nut. The problem with that is you can't rotate the elbow once everything is put together.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I seem to recall your dilemma. It is resolved by dismounting the grip from the bar, allowing you to spin the grip instead of the cable, once the free play is where you want it, reinstall the grip.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH