Honda Spree - From OEM Lights to LED

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dr. Naughty Moist
Noob
Noob

Honda Spree - From OEM Lights to LED

Post by Dr. Naughty Moist »

Hey guys, new Spree owner here and I'm in the middle of my build. and have a question about converting to LED blinkers. First, please don't send links to any other discussion in this forum connected to this issue because I've read them all and tried each idea people have had and I'm looking for new ideas.

All I tried to change was to remove the original blinker housing and bulbs (Which worked perfectly before, I just hated the look of them), and install a new LED housing/bulbs. Now, the bulbs all blink at once when I turn either the left or right blinker (they act like hazards are on). I replaced the blinker relay with a 2 prong relay that was designed for LEDs, still no change. I added in 10 ohm resistors to EACH bulb, inline with the power cables, still no change. So, before I go buy more parts, do I need more resistance? Has this happened to anyone where they needed more than 10 ohm of resistance for each bulb?

*Parts that I've bought are listed below*

LED Lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J ... UTF8&psc=1
LED Turn Signal Flasher: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011B ... UTF8&psc=1
LED Resistors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CR ... UTF8&psc=1
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda Spree - From OEM Lights to LED

Post by kevinv710 »

look at all parts that you bought, those should work fine. Things need to make sure when do installation new relay, switching BLACK and GREY if not working or flashing funky, making adjustment on relay to speed to what you like it, you can test them outside make sure everything working before put them in.
I can share with you what i did for my nephew Spree, please take a look at last picture from this, you can see that i have mismatched regular bulbs and led blinkers and of course they are different watts, but working perfectly.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34110
relay unit is big factor in this job, this one is all in one, working on 6v or 12v, bulb or led, like i said i did even mismatch still work, and it has built-in beeper, so all in one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162258494835?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Dr. Naughty Moist
Noob
Noob

Ok thank you, the weird part is that they worked for a second when some of the cables were exposed so I think it was getting resistance from accidentally shorting out on a ground. Also, today I put on a combination of resistors on all the lights adding up to 160ohms of resistance, and still producing the same result (yes, one-hundred-and-sixty ohms).
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

forget about those resistors, and ohms resistance, you don't need them, they are only require on stock replay. You setting up on adjustable relay, which is different ball game. Have you switching BLACK and GREY connectors on new relay? removed/un-plug beeper's connector which is the one hanging on speedo unit? So much easier to test them outside to see how it's work, before put on the scooter. Worse cases, buy the one $.99 that i gave the link from eBay.
Dr. Naughty Moist
Noob
Noob

I'll try that beeper disconnect next. I have switched the black and grey, when I do they all just stay a solid on. Adjusting the blinker speed does what it's supposed to, they all blink either slower or faster
Dr. Naughty Moist
Noob
Noob

Might have to buy that $.99 one you posted to see if that works.

So something weird happened, When one of the blinker power cables accidentally got grounded on the frame, it started blinking one side like its supposed to and the clicker worked for the first time. idk if that helps with the diagnosis. Anyways, disconnecting the clicker didn't do anything, still have all the same problems regardless of there being resistors or not.