84 Spree throttle not moving at all

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Quantrill
BMX
BMX

84 Spree throttle not moving at all

Post by Quantrill »

I put my 1984 Honda Spree in my garage for the winter and got it back out today since the weather is so nice, my battery was fully charged and I tried to start it, but the engine would not turn over AND THE THROTTLE DOESNT MOVE AT ALL. Is there an adjustment I can make to possibly loosen the throttle grip or do I just need to purchase and install a new one?
Thanks a ton!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 84 Spree throttle not moving at all

Post by Meatball »

Quantrill wrote: THE THROTTLE DOESNT MOVE AT ALL!
You mean the grip just wont twist? Like its stuck? Does the motor spin when the starter is engaged or is that locked too?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The element that is most likely to lock up is the cable. Unscrew the carb top and tug to see what's up. I suspect you don't have a kickstarter, so remove the belt cover and see if the engine is hydrolocked from a winter's worth of pump leakage.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Quantrill
BMX
BMX

Post by Quantrill »

Meatball wrote:
Quantrill wrote: THE THROTTLE DOESNT MOVE AT ALL!
You mean the grip just wont twist? Like its stuck? Does the motor spin when the starter is engaged or is that locked too?
Yeah the grip doesn't turn at all like it's stuck and it sounds like the motor is spinning when I engage the starter
Quantrill
BMX
BMX

Post by Quantrill »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The element that is most likely to lock up is the cable. Unscrew the carb top and tug to see what's up. I suspect you don't have a kickstarter, so remove the belt cover and see if the engine is hydrolocked from a winter's worth of pump leakage.
I unscrewed the throttle on top of the carburetor and tried to twist the grip but still nothing which Is why I suspect the cable itself
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yes, if the slide is removed from the top of the carb and is just dangling in mid-air, and the grip still wont twist....your cable is seized or has a major kink in it somewhere preventing it from sliding in the sleeve. Grab yourself a new cable from chopchop. Its not OEM but its of great quality. Ive bought many things from him. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ5 ... Swvg9Xf0aP
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.