Spree won't start. No vacuum? Good compression.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Spree won't start. No vacuum? Good compression.

Post by gaaunapoi »

Hey I am new around here but I thought I would ask a question and find some advice.

I bought a honda spree for $30 and have been working on it. I have replaced the following: Spark plug, starter coil, air filter, carb (for a used one that i got from someone on here who promised it worked), bystarter, Petcock, and probably more.

My compression is 125 psi. it turns over good. My problem seems to be that I am not getting getting fuel to the carburetor. I just bought a new petcock and fuel filter, I have fuel in the tank, I have tried 2 carbs now and neither works, so i have nothing clogged.

I can however get fuel into the bowl of the spree if I hook a long hose up to the petcock and suck with my mouth so that fuel will run down the fuel line and then it will even sputter and start for a second then die.

I hooked the vacuum line from the engine up to a ziplock bag that i sealed with a little air in it to see if it would expand or contract. It didn't do either at all. it did move very slightly with each turn over of the engine. so I am not sure that the vacuum is working but I don't know why.

The only things I can think of is to get yet another petcock (which I am sure this one is working), go petcockless somehow, try yet another bystarter, or the best thing I can come up with get new reeds or something in there. there is a chip in the thing that the reeds sit on, pictures below.

(the liquid on them is carb cleaner as I was in the middle of cleaning them to make sure that wasn't the problem either.)
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Re: Spree won't start. No vacuum? Good compression.

Post by MentalJunkyard »

When I was working on an old one that had been parked for a while, I had a similar problem. What you need to do is get the bowl in the carb to fill. found 2 ways to do that. One was to disconnect the vacuum line from the intake that runs to the petcock, and apply vacuum. I used a little "mityvac" pump, since I had one. The second method was to use starting fluid to get the engine to start. once running, there was enough vacuum in the intake to keep the petcock open. One question.... are you checking the vacuum with the airbox and filter installed? without them, there isn't enough restriction to create the vacuum the carb needs.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Check your left crank seal.. it is very easy to do, and easy to fix. I have see the left seal blown out on three different Sprees. The dead give away is no vacuum in the line to the petcock. Have a look at this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32935
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

gaaunapoi wrote:I bought a honda spree for $30 and have been working on it.
Man i'd love to be able to buy some cheap broken down scooters for $30... They simply don't exist over here :(
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

Okay so I have been messing with it some.

I had the stock air box on but I didn't know how the carb tube sealed onto it, so I just left it unsealed. So now I went ahead and sealed it with an oring idk if that is right, but it seemed like it should work. I have the stock filter that is properly oiled.

I did get it to start finally but it was with the throttle wide open and it kept running as long as I had had the throttle on but then I let go and it died and I can't get it started again. Seems I am getting a little more vacuum, but still not enough.

I will try to get the bowl filled but if that doesn't work I will try to find the crank case seal. Does anyone know what that is exactly, I tried to Google it and came up short, I think I have a rough idea, but would like to confirm.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

gaaunapoi said:
I will try to get the bowl filled but if that doesn't work I will try to find the crank case seal. Does anyone know what that is exactly, I tried to Google it and came up short, I think I have a rough idea, but would like to confirm.
It sounds like you didn't read the link I posted in a reply a couple up from here.. there is a picture in the link that shows you where the left crank seal is located. Here is the link again:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32935

However, I would say that if you got it running, the left crank seal isn't blow out. The motor won't run at all with the left crank seal blown out, so I'd say your problem is something else.
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

True, I was lazy and just skimmed through it :p but I looked at it again and figured it out, I opened it up and got to it to find that the seal was perfectly good but not in place at all, so I popped it in place and now it starts right up!!! Thank you!!! You saved me!

So now about getting the crank case cover back on. The seal shredded taking it off, so should I buy a new seal online or do you think get the seal in a bottle from an auto store?
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

Okay well I just went with silicone sealant from an auto parts store. Going to let that dry then will try it later today!
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

Works well! Took it for a quick spin and it was good! :D thanks so much! Now just fine tuning!
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Glad to see you up and running!