Kick starter 1986 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dblex
Noob
Noob

Kick starter 1986 Spree

Post by dblex »

My kick starter binds. I will work once but than it will bind up and not move. I take off the cover and everything is in place. Put it back on and it kicks once and than binds. Any ideas???
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Kick starter 1986 Spree

Post by Meatball »

Theres a wire retainer clip held in place by a peg that's cast into your belt cover. WHILE HOLDING THE HALF-MOON GEAR (its spring loaded) pull the retainer clip off the peg. This will allow the half-moon gear to rotate. ROTATE the half-moon gear ONE TOOTH and replace the wire retainer clip (and kick gear) onto the peg. Mesh the teeth together when replacing the clip to the peg. This will hold your half-moon gear in place, now its one tooth over from original position.

Basically, the #1 tooth on your half-moon gear is damaged from extensive usage or carelessly mashing the kick lever repeatedly. Bypass this bad #1 tooth by rotating the half-moon gear making the #2 tooth become #1.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Kick starter 1986 Spree

Post by jakubman1 »

What happen to me a few times i would get in there and clean with brake cleaner,strip the grease off and it would kick down but wouldnt go back up.
If you de grease you re grease....