AF05E UPGRADE TIME, need help hunting down parts.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

AF05E UPGRADE TIME, need help hunting down parts.

Post by eclark5483 »

So I've talked about it in the past, finally getting the funds to do it. Now I'm in the parts list recommendation stages. Gonna take that other Iowa Spree I bought last year that's sitting in the corner of my garage and swap a variated AF05E into it for my ISU (Iowa State University) themed Iowa Spree.

I have the brand new DJ-1 motor mount and will be having that fabricated for fitment soon. As for the engine, it's the one from this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33088

So it has
-AF05 stock crank
-AF05 stator/ flywheel, & fan.
-Stock kickstart cover w/ complete gearing (no cracks or broken tabs, & is in awesome condition)
-Stock variator, stock belt, and stock clutch
-Stock gearing
-Stock oil pump
-Stock intake manifold & reed cage
Obviously, from looking at the pictures of it, you can tell I am in need of some parts.

Right off hand, obviously I need a BBK, Head, shrouds, bolts, muffler, carb.

Other things I am looking to do, is new sliders (possibly even new variator), new belt, and either a new or repadded clutch from JW Parts plus. Also wanna do something with the reeds and intake. Oil pump will be deleted. Not sure if I wanna mess with gearing, but would like some options.

So I've looked on SSS and other websites, and honestly, it gets a bit confusing.. Typically I see something that's for the Aero, then it says AF16... and I'm like... huh?? I have the AF05E, not the AF16, would I be buying the correct part (BBK, intake, reed cage, etc..)??

So I guess what I am asking is recommendations for parts and specific links to where I can find them so I know I am ordering the right stuff. And finally, since this would be the first time for an engine swap, do I need to change any electrical connectors on the Spree to make it all work??

Thanks.

P.S. For sh%@'s and giggles, I might just have to do a dyno run and post the results with all the parts used in the engine. :woot:

Won't be like the other Spree though. Those dyno runs were made to get the tuning down right with the intake/carb/airbox, etc. This one will just be for fun.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: AF05E UPGRADE TIME, need help hunting down parts.

Post by eclark5483 »

Already have an account, what next? I clicked the support/builds link and that just takes me to your Facebook page 2trevolution, just now clicked on "join group"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Oh, yeah, before I forget... what about the shock? Can I go with another Motoforce ST1, or do I need something else?
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

G9's malossi kit, polini 21cp, and naraku intake/adapter, and stage 6 cdi really opened that bike up for me. I also did the polini vari and polini evo clutch bell for nice take off. The polini belt also works perfect. The malossi belt would take some work to fit. The tranny case is rather shallow so it might need spacing after spacing the drive face to let the belt drop all the way down. The malossi is rather wide. Id be careful since the splines on that crank are very thin and prone to stripping. (I did it). And as far as pipe goes. Up until i got the slick willy i drilled a few holes in the last baffle to let it breathe a bit more and a more throaty sound. The baffle is easy to find shoving a coat hanger down the pipe exit tube until it stops. The end is the last chamber. I drilled 3 holes there. That set up and stock gears had me doin 50 on flats, getting there quick, and beating my neighbors 125cc 4 stroke and gy6 rucks.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Not sure how much that re seating of clutch pads costs, but g9 has that kn planning for $29 or the koso for $45 might be a better option to just go with one of those. All the dio clutches fit.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Guess I'm not really looking for high speed top end, I'd prefer better low end. This Spree, much like my other, will not be driven much. It will be a show bike like it's Hawkeye themed brother.

Concept art:

Last edited by eclark5483 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Meloshameless wrote:Not sure how much that re seating of clutch pads costs, but g9 has that kn planning for $29 or the koso for $45 might be a better option to just go with one of those. All the dio clutches fit.
Repadding is now only like $40 or so, but if I can get a better clutch for around the same price I'll do that instead.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Ive seen the pics of the hawkeye themed bike u did. It looks awesome. For better bottom u def wanna keep the stock pipe. I noticed the most difference on low and mid when i added the carb and intake to the bbk.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

HA!! I don't even have the STOCK pipe for it. :confused:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I have this motor in a Spree right now. Completely stock except for a pod filter and it rips. Holds 40 all day and gets there quick. If youre not looking for high top speed, just keep it stock. Much easier to tune and youll be reliable. I have a bunch of stock parts for this motor if youre interested. Also have a couple of pipes too.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Stock pipe looks similar to the Spree pipe, right? I'm guessing I'd have to paint it with some flat black VHT paint to make it look new. I'm interested if the pipe you have is in good shape, color wear is no big deal, just no dings or dents. If it's like the Spree pipe, then I imagine I'd paint the heat shield ISU gold as well to match the rest of it. Yeah that could look cool.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It was a choice of engine swap or hop up the stock engine. Figured since I have the variated AF05E anyway, might as well swap it, and save the old engine as a spare for either bike.