1987 Spree Oil Leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

silver slp
BMX
BMX

1987 Spree Oil Leak

Post by silver slp »

Hello and thanks for any help in advance!

I have a 1987 Honda Spree and I'd love to get it back in running condition. I have to replace the kick start gear assembly (teeth were stripped) and figure out this oil leak issue...

I have noticed that since the Spree has been sitting (almost 2 years) it has been leaking oil down to where the kick stand is and obviously the oil in the tank has dropped. I always ran Amsoil 2-stroke full synthetic oil. Any ideas on what the issue could be or where to start? Is it okay to run the Spree as long as I make sure there is still oil in it?

Thanks again!
Attachments
Amsoil.jpg
Amsoil.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Spree (3).jpg
Spree (3).jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Wheelman-111

Re: 1987 Spree Oil Leak

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Careful, pard. The leak may represent an overflowing crankcase. The oil pump seals are 32 years old, and they may have let enough oil by in 2 years to hydrolock your engine before climbing out to stain your garage floor. Use the kickstart, GENTLY, to see if it'll even spin over at all. If it starts, be prepared for a cloud visible from the moon.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Careful, pard. The leak may represent an overflowing crankcase. The oil pump seals are 32 years old, and they may have let enough oil by in 2 years to hydrolock your engine before climbing out to stain your garage floor. Use the kickstart, GENTLY, to see if it'll even spin over at all. If it starts, be prepared for a cloud visible from the moon.
Thanks for the reply! Are you suggesting that I will likely need new oil pump seals? If so, where and how do you recommend I find / replace them? Thanks!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Owning a 30 year-old scooter means having to accept a certain number of... Uh, Imperfections. Although the Esteemed Mousewheels once successfully dissected the cloistered contents of a Spree pump, the process involved uncrimping the folded-over and intentionally Permanent seal of the device to expose its inner secrets. See WikiSpreedia. The seals may have a generic modern Metric equivalent, but even if you found them, buttoning the pump back up would prove challenging.

So you have an option of 1. purchasing a (Hopefully...) less-leaky version of your current pump, the seals of which will be almost as old but perhaps less worn out.... OR... 2. You can accept that a drop or 2 a day won't cause much harm to anyone but the most anally-retentive Green Californians, who will object to the puff of smoke they'll see when those drops burns up on startup. Then if you run the scooter every day, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Option 3 is to find a Spree-fitting Pump Delete plug (Others will tell you if they exist and how to get/make one.) and run 32:1 premix in the fuel tank.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

Sounds like we will be going with option #2 at least for now! Good to know that it is a common issue. This also makes sense as to why it always smoked a lot on first start up of the year. I'll likely go with a non-synthetic 2-stroke oil to see if viscosity makes any difference.

As a future reference, is there any known oil pump from another kind of moped that is a suitable replacement? Thanks!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It seems Joel has what you need if you decide on Option 3.
Wheelman-111
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I don't think the spree pump is the same as any of the others unfortunately. But you should be able to find a spree pump on ebay somewhere. Or you could find one of the many people on this site (maybe eclark or meatball? I bet g9 too) Who have done a motor swap on a spree, they'll have an extra spree motor around w parts more than likely.