84 Aero 50 dying at high RPM

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

84 Aero 50 dying at high RPM

Post by Weezerjerry »

Hi guys, I bought an Aero 50 that starts OK after a good carb cleaning. When I ride it I can't go full throttle for long because it dies on my. Even when in my driveway started and revved up it will dy at WOT. It does wind up and doesn't sound like it is "bogging" just seems like it ran out of fuel. I ordered a new petcock but haven't installed it yet. I am hoping that is the problem, does it sound like I am on the right track here? Any other suggesttions?

Thanks everyone for the help, this forum is awesome!

-Jerry
motormike

Re: 84 Aero 50 dying at high RPM

Post by motormike »

Did you test the petcock for flow?
Are the fuel lines new ?
Is there a filter inline ?
Have you cleaned the screen in the tank at the petcock intake ?
Most likely is a fuel flow issue... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Is it getting hot? Like does it feel hotter than normal?

It's probably a fuel flow issue (tank screen, petcock, filter, lines, carb should all be checked n cleaned or replaced) but it could be a lean-at-wot situation caused by a bad airfilter or a vacuum leak that is only present at high vacuum times, such as wot.
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

So I finally got the thing out and rode it some more... Replaced fuel lines, replace petcock, emptied out gas and replaced with a fresh tank. The issues seems to arise most after it has warmed up (the only time I have really given it a ride). Once warm it idles great and will even wind up OK while on the kick stand, once I get on the bike it gets weaker at higher RPMs then dies and struggles to stay running after that. Think it's a ring thing? Doesn't seem to have any vacuum leak, has a good clean air filter and the carb and jet are stock so it shouldn't be a lean condition or anything like that. I wish I had a way to test compression... It does seem kind of easy to kick the kick start compared to me Spree with the SE50 motor... But that's all I have to compare it to.

I bought this scoot a couple of months ago and haven't really ever ridden it, it's been to cold around here to work on it, and I've been busy on the nicer days. I'd like to get this thing running and sell it for some parts for the Spree...
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Yep prob somewere in cylinder/piston area, tends happe under load. Id check crank seals while ur down there.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
JONO
Noob
Noob

Post by JONO »

I have 86 spree nq50 that had the same problem, ended up needing a new carburetor (can be bought for $30-75 on ebay). I did exactly what you did prior to finding this fix. Mine would conk out at high rev AND while idling so a bit different. Sounds like here's not enough gas at higher RPM I believe due clogging of the cruise jet on carb. If compression problem I would think just power loss. Compression is easy to check take off left fender and spark plug right under gas tank, take out and put in compression tester (I think 114 was right, look into the manual for that).