Out of Round

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Out of Round

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

F9's brakes are getting downright scary lately. Hopelessly out of round, perhaps the result of hauling down from higher speeds. Who knows of a place that can turn the rim drums true?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Out of Round

Post by benji »

Ooh, dunno. I would say any brake shop or motorcycle repair shop should be able to... but new wheels may be cheaper
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I took a set of Met rims to one of the largest brake shop chains in my area (Les Schwab) and they said their brake resurfacing equipment cant do the job. The drum surfaces are pitted with rust and I was hoping to shave a few mm's to get them smooth.

I even went as far as rigging up my own shade tree device to spin the rim at high speed in an attempt the job myself. I first tried sandpaper for metal on the drum surface, no go. I then tried an abrasive sanding stone with no noticeable improvement. The material is very hard steel and must be cut away like the brake shops do. I still have the rims so if you find a remedy let us know.

This topic came up in a motorcycle forum and it was suggested to take the rim to an actual motorsports shop. However, the OP never replied if he did or not.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Maybe a machine shop?
pitobread
Goped
Goped

Post by pitobread »

I could do it on a lathe, but I don't have one big enough at home. So I would recommend a local job shop/machine shop.