1987 Spree - Hard to turn over

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

silver slp
BMX
BMX

1987 Spree - Hard to turn over

Post by silver slp »

Hello and thanks for any and all help in advance:

I am working on my 1987 Honda Spree today. I just got new kick start gears installed and a new battery. The problem is that this Spree is very hard to turn over, so much so that I can't even move the kick start lever, nor will the electric-start start the bike. I took the kick start cover back off and was able to put a crescent wrench on the nut for the gear and was able to turn it. After breaking it free, it easily turned over for a rotation and then it got really tight again. As far as I can tell, everything is together correctly, however I am missing this piece circled in red.

I even tried taking all of the kick start gears out of the kick start case and reinstalling the case and trying to start the bike with electric start.

Thanks again for any help!
Attachments
Spree edit.jpg
Spree edit.jpg (165.5 KiB) Viewed 9740 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1987 Spree - Hard to turn over

Post by Meatball »

Kickstart wont work without the piece youre missing. On the diagram below, you are missing part #4....Therefore, you cannot use part #3....Put your cover back on WITHOUT part #3....then try your electric starter.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Once you get part #4, you can install #3 & #4 together and your kickstart will function.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

Thanks so much, I will try that tomorrow morning!
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Dude i have spare parts to a kicker lemme know what you need !
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

Meatball wrote:Kickstart wont work without the piece youre missing. On the diagram below, you are missing part #4....Therefore, you cannot use part #3....Put your cover back on WITHOUT part #3....then try your electric starter.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Once you get part #4, you can install #3 & #4 together and your kickstart will function.
I just removed part #3 and reinstalled the kickstarter but it still won't start. The starter makes one loud "clunk" noise and won't turn over anymore until I take the cover off and spin the nut with a wrench. Any ideas?
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

jakubman1 wrote:Dude i have spare parts to a kicker lemme know what you need !
Awesome! How much for part #4 shipped to 54729?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

i want 5$ for the part and i dunno how much shipping is. PM me for my #
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Listen closely to the sound it makes while turning the motor with a wrench. Does it make a grinding noise? Does it "feel" like there resistance to indicate theres something being chewed up inside? Is should spin smoothly all the way around except for when the piston is on the upstroke and compression is achieved.

If no grinding is heard OR felt by spinning with a wrench, here is your next step:

1-Remove the belt cover
2-Remove the starter pinion. This requires no tools and can be simply pulled out by hand with some pulling/twisting effort.
3-Turn key to "ON" and turn the red switch to "RUN" just as you would when starting.
4-Using a drill and the proper size socket for your nut, spin the drive face (with drill in FORWARD) until the bike starts.
5-As soon as the bike starts, QUICKLY pull the drill off the nut and let it run on its own.

For this method, it is NOT required that you hold the rear brake. Also, be careful when operating the bike with the belt cover off. The spinning machine will eat long hair or loose clothing for breakfast. If youre not comfortable doing this....DONT!
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

I just tried the above method with a plug-in power still. Even the drill won't turn the nut. No grinding or binding noises are heard, just very hard to turn at the compression point. Any ideas?
motormike

Post by motormike »

What happens when you take the spark plug out and spin the engine over ?
Seems all have overlooked the symptoms, focusing on the missing part situation.
Sounds as if the cylinder is hydro-locking. Watch for oil exiting the spark plug hole. ;)
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

Interesting, I will try this. What is the best way to drain the oil if it is too full?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

motormike wrote:Seems all have overlooked the symptoms, focusing on the missing part situation.
I was just thinking that once he got it to finally fire up that it would "clear its throat" and blow smoke for a minute and clear up. Taking into account that once compression is achieved it can get very tough to spin by hand. With the starter not being able turn the motor over, I assumed it was simply due to low CCA's of a weakened battery. If the "start by drill" method didn't work, I was going to suggest deeper issues.
silver slp
BMX
BMX

Post by silver slp »

Battery is brand new and fully charged.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Then as motormike suggests, remove sparkplug and give it a spin. It should spin freely. If not, remove the belt and try to spin again. If it still doesn't spin freely with belt and sparkplug removed, check for binding on the stator which is on the opposite side of the crank where the fan is. If the stator is not causing the binding at that point....the problem is internal.

Then you would pull the head and jug from the top of the motor for deeper inspection. Possibly and crank bearing, a piece of reed valve or broken piston ring is floating around inside the crankcase or some other foreign object. Maybe a bent crank.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Pm d. I found the part

I would check out what motormike and meatball suggested first.