Fuel not getting to carb

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Quantrill
BMX
BMX

Fuel not getting to carb

Post by Quantrill »

My 84 Spree has been in the garage all winter and I am now getting it out for the spring. I tried starting it up but the engine made no effort to turn over, it would just chug until the battery was dead. I figured the carb must not be getting any or enough fuel, so I pulled the fuel cable from the carb and no fuel came out. I then removed the petcock and cleared a snotty like substance from it. I put it all back together but the same result. Is there any quick fix to get fuel to the carb? Is it a vacuum issue? Thanks for the help!
motormike

Re: Fuel not getting to carb

Post by motormike »

When you remove the fuel line from the carburetor, NO FUEL will flow through that line until you actuate the starter, thereby creating vacuum to operate the petcock.
Once you create that vacuum, fuel SHOULD flow.
If it does not, then there is a problem.
Either the petcock is malfunctioning due to broken diaphragm, or obstructed passages.
Proper cleaning of the outlet screen in the tank and the petcock should result in flow with vacuum applied.
Fuel lines can become deteriorated inside and collapse preventing flow.
Ethanol increases likelihood of deteriorated lines, water collection, and residue fouling inside the carburetor.
Likely, you will need to remove carb and do routine cleaning after sitting a few months without starting... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Fuel not getting to carb

Post by benji »

Motormike is right. Especially if you found weird stuff in the petcock. I'd pick up some new fuel line and a filter, and several cans of carb cleaner. There's instructions on Wikispreedia on how to clean it, it's not that bad. Be prepared to buy a carb gasket set or rebuild kit, or maybe a new petcock.