Spree Transmission Rebuild Kit?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

Spree Transmission Rebuild Kit?

Post by jerz40 »

I recently found out that my 86 Spree needs a transmission rebuild. The bearings are shot, and when you spin the rear tire on the stand, you can feel resistance, (and no it's not the tire scrapping the cement). I wanted to check the oil in the case, I unscrew the drain bolt and black oil comes out :? I know that isn't right, and you could kinda see a "metallic look" in the oil. Obviously I need new bearings installed, I checked partzilla for the parts and the case bearing and gasket is all obsolete. :(

Does anyone know where I can get some new good parts? A rebuild kit for this would be great, but I doubt it's available. Any help is greatly appreciated!
coctailer
BMX
BMX

Re: Spree Transmission Rebuild Kit?

Post by coctailer »

Don't you have like 40 spares laying around? :smile:
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

:lol: good one! Well, it never fails this happens to be my best spree of all! :(
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I was able to source a few Spree bearings directly from my local Honda dealer. I had the part numbers with me when I went in and chatted with the guy. The bearing(s) you need have changed part numbers over the years but its still the same bearing. When he looked on his computer, it showed part#91028-GF0-005 had changed to ?????-???-???. However, the NEW part# was also discontinued and had changed yet again to a NEWER number. I think he had to trace it back to 3-4 part#'s before he figured out that they still make it and its currently being used on a different bike.....same bearing tho.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote:I was able to source a few Spree bearings directly from my local Honda dealer. I had the part numbers with me when I went in and chatted with the guy. The bearing(s) you need have changed part numbers over the years but its still the same bearing. When he looked on his computer, it showed part#91028-GF0-005 had changed to ?????-???-???. However, the NEW part# was also discontinued and had changed yet again to a NEWER number. I think he had to trace it back to 3-4 part#'s before he figured out that they still make it and its currently being used on a different bike.....same bearing tho.
Thanks Meatball! This is some very useful information, I'm sure that same bearing is being used still, so now I just gotta find it.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Get a new oil seal also for the inner bearing nearest the tire. If you don't have one on hand when you remove the old one, it will rip for sure. I bet if you have a new one in your pocket, the old one will come out fine and be re-used....never fails. It will only rip if you DONT have a spare. :smile:

That inner bearing is a mother to get out/in. I decided not to pull the entire motor just to press a bearing and swap it while on the bike. My handy bearing puller kit wouldn't work. I had to create a device compiled of a piece of threaded rod, washers, nuts and chunks of 2x4. Looking back, I should've taken pics of my concoction since it actually worked pretty slick....it only "looked" hokey.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote:Get a new oil seal also for the inner bearing nearest the tire. If you don't have one on hand when you remove the old one, it will rip for sure. I bet if you have a new one in your pocket, the old one will come out fine and be re-used....never fails. It will only rip if you DONT have a spare. :smile:

That inner bearing is a mother to get out/in. I decided not to pull the entire motor just to press a bearing and swap it while on the bike. My handy bearing puller kit wouldn't work. I had to create a device compiled of a piece of threaded rod, washers, nuts and chunks of 2x4. Looking back, I should've taken pics of my concoction since it actually worked pretty slick....it only "looked" hokey.
I'll for sure do that, and I know exactly what you mean! I go through the same thing here! :lol:

In my Honda Service Manual, it shows they have a special tool (kinda like a "punch" or something), not sure if it's still available or not, should be, but if it isn't, I'll haft to do something like you did! :smile: I plan on leaving the motor in the bike too, (as it shows in the service manual they did it with it still in the bike). Now afterwards for the oil, I know it takes like 3oz, but what's the easiest way to refill the case back up with oil? Always seems to be such a pain for me, haha
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Basically you just fill it through the drain hole until its full and starts spewing out. I let the extra dribble out before I put the bolt in so its not over filled. After the first few pumps I spin the tire by hand to make sure its where it should be, then continue filling.

Myself, I use a pump as pictured below. They can be had for $5-$10 pretty much anywhere. I get mine from Walmart in the boat/marine section. The supplied hose doesn't fit into the fill hole so I attached a small 3" piece of vac hose (drinking straw works too) to the end, works great.

I cant remember if it was Wheelman or PatTheSoundGuy who once posted as using a Ketchup/Mustard bottle with a pointy tip purchased from the Dollar Store. Just shove the tip in and squirt! :naughty:
Attachments
gear oil pump.jpg
gear oil pump.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 10394 times
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote:Basically you just fill it through the drain hole until its full and starts spewing out. I let the extra dribble out before I put the bolt in so its not over filled. After the first few pumps I spin the tire by hand to make sure its where it should be, then continue filling.

Myself, I use a pump as pictured below. They can be had for $5-$10 pretty much anywhere. I get mine from Walmart in the boat/marine section. The supplied hose doesn't fit into the fill hole so I attached a small 3" piece of vac hose (drinking straw works too) to the end, works great.

I cant remember if it was Wheelman or PatTheSoundGuy who once posted as using a Ketchup/Mustard bottle with a pointy tip purchased from the Dollar Store. Just shove the tip in and squirt! :naughty:

:lol: I'll try that! I've always tried to use a funnel, but that just isn't working anymore, by the time I'm done I have half the oil on the ground :|
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Funnel schmunnel.
You can buy a 50cc syringe at the Dollar store,. Measures and injects precisely.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Funnel schmunnel.
You can buy a 50cc syringe at the Dollar store,. Measures and injects precisely.
Thanks wheelman! I'm gonna look for one of those! :)
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Funnel schmunnel.

OR
you can get a free one at a CVS or Walgreens pharmacy dept. just go to the desk and ask for one. Just make sure you look uber disheveled and be scratching your arms like crazy. Works every time.

Seriously though...just ask. No theatrics necessary.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gea ... 991558_0_0
i've been using this, fill up 10w-40 if needed, or whatever service book listing for.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

i got the gear if ya need it
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Thanks for the help guys! I'm trying to get some parts around to do job. I'll update this page as I start the work on it though. :)