Need help with Express SR electrical

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Need help with Express SR electrical

Post by Dallen70 »

So I recently purchased a 1981 Honda Express SR(NX50M). The thing runs and rides like a dream but when I got it none of the electrical worked. No blinkers, tail lights front or rear, starter, horn or anything, all dead. I replaced all blinker bulbs, brake light, new CDI, and a 12v Blinker Relay. I now have the brake light working and one back left blinker. I went through the whole harness on the bike and there isn't one ripped or cut wire. Everything is connected and in the right spot. I went thru the stator and ac generator and the starter and everything looked great. There's only 1113 mile on this bike. I obviously put a new battery in as well but that didn't help. I don't know what else to look at, do I need a new starter relay? A new recitifier? Or ignition coil? I mean I'm getting absolutely no noise, or anything at all when I hit the start button or horn. It's almost as if key is out of the ignition and I'm just hitting buttons and nothing happens. Not sure what else to look at.. or if I just need a new harness. (New as in a used one off eBay) and also if you have a honda Express you should pm me cause I might buy parts off you or ask you more questions! Help is much appreciated thanks guys.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help with Express SR electrical

Post by vintagegarage »

I have an Express SR, and it works perfectly, but I have almost no spare parts for it.

First, start with downloading the free copy of the service manual at:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf

It has a very good troubleshooting sections. You never mentioned the fuse, with is the first step, but since your left blinker is working, your fuse about has to be good. Your horn problem is most likely either a stuck horn, or a bad horn switch on the handlebar. Get a cheap voltmeter, and see if you have voltage at the horn when you push the horn button. If you do, the horn is stick and you can get it unstuck with some banging on it, and perhaps twisting the adjustment screw on it. If you don't have voltage, troubleshoot the switch on the handlebar.

The most likely reason your starter isn't working is that you aren't holding down one of the brake levers. Make sure that the brake light is on before you hit the starter switch. If the brake light is on when you hit the starter switch, troubleshoot the starter switch using your voltmeter. If the switch is working, troubleshoot the solenoid. If the solenoid is good, see if there is 12 volts at the starter motor when you hit the switch, and so on.

The right blinker isn't working because one of the right blinker bulbs is burnt out, or the wire connector to one of them has come undone.

The headlight bulb will burn out almost instantly if you run the engine without the battery in place and properly connected. Also, the headlight will not light unless the engine is running. As far as I know, this is the only Honda scooter that will burn out the headlight if you don't have the battery hooked up.

You don't need a new wiring harness. Just get a cheap ammeter/voltmeter and check out the non-working items one at a time, using the service manual.
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Post by Dallen70 »

All my wires are connected and like I said, brand new bulbs in every area. And yes I replaced the fuse. And I do know that you're supposed to hold the brake lever lol. But thanks for the tips. I'll check the manual and start testing things with the voltmeter
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

This sounds like loose rack bolts to me. Make sure they are torqued down to spec, this should solve your issue
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Post by Dallen70 »

Yeah I just used my impact wrench for my rack bolts
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

come to Seattle i give you a loan/purchase on any parts that you are unsure working on your bike, or bring your bike to my place we can both team it up (Pizza and hot tea is what you going to paid for...LOL). Sounds to me like you have done everything basic to diagnose it, but problem still there. Electrical problem sometime can be major things or just little things, a bad grounding, bad rectifier...ect, but i agree with you, first you need a sure working harness to start investigating the problems.
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Post by Dallen70 »

Heck yeah man, I hate electrical. :sad:
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Post by Dallen70 »

That's very true! I might have to make my rounds to Portland and come pick that up. We will be in touch ;)
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Post by Dallen70 »

Oh heck yeah those are awesome