how to clean out a plugged muffler?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zaebra
Noob
Noob

how to clean out a plugged muffler?

Post by zaebra »

my '84 aero 50 appears to have hosted some sort of insect that uses mud to make its home. consequently, my muffler was totally plugged up. i shoved a screwdriver through the plug (carefully) and opened a hole, but i would like to clean it out more thoroughly than that. is it safe to run water through the muffler to clean it (obviously when it is disconnected from the engine)?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: how to clean out a plugged muffler?

Post by Meatball »

I would just beat it with a rubber mallet to knock the mud loose and shoot it with air afterwards. If you have the resources, toss the whole thing onto a campfire and cook the oily gunk inside away as well. I fabricated up a make-shift cone tip that fits on my leaf blower and fits right into the engine end of the muffler.....she blows everything out when cooled off.

I don't know about water in there. It may rust out the baffles? Not sure. Never tried.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You can use water, you just need to dry out the pipe when done. Reattaching it and running bike will do it.

Note that this just removes the dirt from mud daubers. The real issue is oil and grime, and for that the campfire method is probably the most straightforward.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
zaebra
Noob
Noob

Post by zaebra »

awesome, thanks! now to find me a campfire..

also, thanks very much for the carb cleaning advice and tutorial. it worked great! now i get to do it again, because i neglected to de-rust the gas tank before firing it up in my eagerness, so it promptly dwindled and died and won't restart. :D this time around i'll add a fuel filter after cleaning the tank, though. progress!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Baking a pipe in a campfire is quite entertaining. The last pipe I did shot flames out both ends like a jet engine for almost 45 min. Just make sure you let the pipe cool completely on its own don't quench It with water.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
iNOLIP808
Noob
Noob

Post by iNOLIP808 »

noiseguy wrote:You can use water, you just need to dry out the pipe when done. Reattaching it and running bike will do it.

Note that this just removes the dirt from mud daubers. The real issue is oil and grime, and for that the campfire method is probably the most straightforward.

If i throw my PG fatty in a campfire will the baffle be ok?