Changing Spree tires - What's the trick?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Changing Spree tires - What's the trick?

Post by Kustomkarma »

I've been lucky enough to not have to mount any scooter tires - removed a few parting scooters out, but never mounted any new tires. I'm trying to get a new stock sized Kenda tire onto a Spree wheel without detroying the tube. So what's the trick? This is one stiff tire! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Changing Spree tires - What's the trick?

Post by Meatball »

Tubeless tires have a much stiffer bead than tube type but can be used with tubes without a problem. Mounting them can be a bear sometimes if theyre cold and stiff. Many tricks out there can make it "easier" but theres no "easy" way when doing it by hand.

Warming up a tire by means of setting it in the sun for awhile makes it more flexible. I don't suggest trying a heat gun or other means of warming.

Plenty of lube is an absolute must. You can buy the actual tire stuff at an auto parts store but I personally use liquid dish soap straight from the kitchen.

Tire spoons can be used in place of plain screwdrivers to help prevent puncturing the tube during installation. If you have some old cheap flat-head screwdrivers you can grind them round and they work the same. Be sure to lube up the shafts :naughty: of the screwdrivers to help the tire slide onto the rim easier.

When prying the tire with 2 or more spoons, don't try to pry too much tire at once. Usually about 2 inches at a time is what I do until it finally pops on.

Always make sure the FIRST part of the tire that is on the rim stays in the valley/gut of the rim while prying the rest on. This gives you room you need to get the rest popped on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Motorcycle-Sp ... SwCU1Y2rvl
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Thanks for the info! I'm worried that I'm going to bend the rims with all that prying. I'm surpride how stiff these little tires are.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Kustomkarma wrote:Thanks for the info! I'm worried that I'm going to bend the rims with all that prying. I'm surpride how stiff these little tires are.
Bending the lip is certainly a possibility if you get too aggressive and try to bite too much tire at once. I bent a lip AND pinched a hole in a brand new tube on the first one I ever did but haven't done it again 20 tires later. Ive learned to practice patience and pay close attention not to carelessly jam the tool in and pry like a madman. Keeping the rim, tire bead and the tool lubed is critical.

Also keeping the first part of the tire in throat of the rim while prying the rest is vital. Ive seen videos of people using a zip-tie method to keep the tire beads squeezed together during install but I never needed to try it.

Edit: if youre swapping new tubes into the old tire because of a flat, be sure the old tire doesn't still have the puncturing item still in it. That pesky thorn, staple or chunk of glass will make your new tube as flat as the old one.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

You ought to be able to mount the tires with no tools using dish soap lube. Rather than describing how to do it, I'd be happy to drive down and show you how to do it. The key is to realize that the center of the rim is a much smaller diameter than the outside of the rim. You simply start with the tire bead in the center of the rim, instead of near the edge, and then simply push the tire over the rim. I don't care how stiff the tire is, I can do it with no tools and the weak strength of a 70 year old man. What ever you do, don't use screwdrivers or spades.. no tools are required.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Rusty wheels will prevent you from unmounting and mounting your tires. If the inside surfaces of your wheels are rusty clean and paint them. Let the paint dry well. That's is the secret to putting your tires on with ease. Years ago I wrestled with spree tires and that was the issue. Some paint and lots of soapy water and they go on slick as snot
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Hi all, haven't mounted any 10 inch tires in a while but I remember what a PITA they are. Just curious, I started using silicone spray instead of soapy water because it just didn't feel right putting moisture inside the tire and on the rim. I figured if I use it to treat the rubber on my vehicles then it should be safe on tires and tubes - it also seems to do a better job of allowing the tire bead to slip into place as I pump up the tire. Since everyone seems to recommend soapy water, I'm wondering if silicone is a mistake - never had any problems though...

Also, when I was struggling with an NH125 tire a while back, I was advised "don't be afraid to get on top of it with your knees" to hold the beads in the center of the rim while you tuck in the last few inches - good advice.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Thanks for all the different ideas. It looks like I'm going to have to sand and paint this wheel and try again.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

A set of tire spoons are pretty much a requirement. Old tires are also easier to mount than new... I can typically mount old ones without tire levers.

I use glass cleaner for mounting, and keep a spare tube on hand when I mount, b/c I still manage to pinch flat them sometimes.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Last bunch of scooter tires I wish I used fluid film spray as the lube. worked the best. I used it because I diddnt want to wreck the new paint on the wheels. Lots of dish soap would have been close but the expensive fluid film rocks. I have one of those small engine mnual tire changers now and I can't wait to see if I can make it work for scooter tires. It should work as long as the threaded rod that holds the wheel down fits through the bearings on the front wheel and the hole in the rear wheel. Might need to make a special adapter but it will be cool. It made changing lawn tractor tires a breeze.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Here's my old thread from Tech Docs:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Thanks for all the tips and tricks. I eventually got both front and rear tires mounted. I used new tires and new tubes. For the front I stood the tire up and sat on it (yes sat on it) this made it slightly oval shaped which allowed me to slip the wheel inside and get the first bead started. After the one bead was mounted, I then slightly inflated the tube, then deflated it, and inserted it between the tire and the wheel. I laid everything on the ground and used my entire 123 pounds to push down while slowly working around the edge with three different motorcycle tire irons. I used Simple Green as the lube for the first tire. For the rear, I used silicon spray - at this point I was experimenting. The rear wheel took a lot more slowly working the bead around with the tire irons than the front, but the tire had been stored flat and had the two beads were touching each other. As for the wheels themselves, they weren't supper rusty, so I knocked the scaley rust off the inside with an old screw driver and a coarse wire brush, then wrapped the lowest portion of the wheel with two wraps of good quality electrical tape (like a bicycle rim liner.) Hopefully the next time I do this it will be a little easier.