Issue with coupler on Polini CP carb.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Issue with coupler on Polini CP carb.

Post by eclark5483 »

So I'm flying down the road today on the Spree, doing about 45 or so, when all of a sudden, I hear a strange noise and the scooter just up and dies. My first thought was "OH NO, DID I LIKE TOTALLY BLEW A PISTON???" But, lucky for me, that wasn't it at all. When I looked down underneath, I see my carb just hanging there. It had evidently worked it's way off of the Kitaco. I was afraid that was gonna be an issue.. Ya see, the Polini is real real close to that shock. I imagine what happened is it probably got knocked lose from the usual bumps and what have you from the road. It was an easy fix, just needed a screwdriver to loosen up the clamp, slip it back on, then re-tighten. Fired it back up, and I was on my way again.. however, this now concerns me. Don't want this happening again and I need to find a solution to prevent it. Do I maybe buy a CNC riser from SSS, or is there maybe another kind of coupler with an angle on it to move it over just a bit? Anybody have any solutions?

Here is an image with the area where it popped off at highlighted.

bonesv

Re: Issue with coupler on Polini CP carb.

Post by bonesv »

Maybe you could attach a support of some kind from the engine to under the carb and eliminate the "bouncing" effect from the road, etc.?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that too, but not sure how to go about it. For now I ordered a CNC riser from SSS and I'm gonna see if that remedies the situation. I figure that will at least move the shock up a bit and turn it sideways giving me a little bit more clearance. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to take it up to the shop and seen if Stan can fabricate me a fix for it.

If it comes off and I'm driving it, no big deal, but if my son is on it and he happens to be somewhere around town, he won't know how to, or be able to fix it himself... not good.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Maybe use copperspray as a glue? Or maybe come up with a bracket to take the weight of the carb off the connection or maybe tie it up with a cable to keep it from dangling on the fuel line and throttle cable?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Man, if only the adapter rubber was a bit longer, and had a slight bend to shift the Polini over more to the left. I have the clearance to make it work. Can I get a custom coupler made anywhere? The carb can't be strapped from the top because it moves with the engine/shock, not the frame. So I suppose I would have to secure it down below... perhaps a brace bolted into one of the bolts on the CVT(oops, you know what I mean)cover leading up to, like maybe a screw up on top of the carb. Maybe a makeshift wall between the carb and shock? Ugh, I hate engineering, guess that's why I never took a course in it.

EDIT: I think I got it!! Bolt brace in BETWEEN CNC riser and carb, connecting carb to CNC riser physically, use increased height and shock orientation change, to further separate the physical shock from the carb area.

It's only like what?? 4cm? On these tiny Sprees, that can make all the difference.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I find with the rubber couplers the trick is to spray inside the rubber with carb cleaner and wipe it out so its absolutely dry and free of any oil or grease. Do the same with the intake tube. Get the clamp good and tight with a good quality clamp, somtimes the ones with the coupler aren't so great. That will help solve the issue.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Use the stay for the stock carb. Erector set that to the polini and use either zip ties or create a cage of some type since there's nothing on the carb to mount to
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Check my album for my zxspree for another idea.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

My polini got spit out by the stage6 intake a few weeks ago as well. Riding along and its sputtered and died and I thought "uh oh" . Pulled over just to see the carb dangling there by the fuel line. I shoved it back it and had to hold it with one hand while limping it back home. The hose clamp holding it in was tight as h3ll already so I did what Pat suggested and cleaned the inner rubber and carb of all slippery oil and re-installed. Sits in there snug now and hasnt popped out since.

When swapping jets, I used to be able rotate the carb by hand for better access to the bowl. Now after cleaning the inner boot, it wont budge and I have to loosen the hose clamp to rotate. I dont think its going anywhere now but fabbing up a bracket to the motor would be the ultimate fix.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Great tips all, thanks!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So I am STILL having this issue.

I can not attribute it to the shock no longer.

I jacked up the Spree by an inch to bring the shock away from the carb, yet the rubber boot still slips off. I have witnessed it come off at idle, so shock is NOT a factor.

Had to weld risers on the kick stand as well because of how the dynamics of the bike changes when raising the shock height.

But anyway.. getting desperate here.. I'm thinking the problem with the rubber is it is ribbed inside for my pleasure. Therefore, is not gripping the shaft fully when clamped... :thumbsup:

:b2t:

I am going to try 2 different things.

First Option : http://www.ebay.com/itm/142104064156

If it keeps slipping, I'll try

Second Option : http://www.ebay.com/itm/262805811238

Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I notice the tighter I clamp down, the more the boot slips off.. hmm..odd. And I think it might be because of the gap for the adapter that is molded into it. I tried copper spray with a wider clamp, which did not help much. The problem here is compatibility with the adapter boot with the Kitaco. As long as I solve that, then I'm golden.