Drive Belt Spec 23100-GN2-003?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cancunia
Spree
Spree

Drive Belt Spec 23100-GN2-003?

Post by cancunia »

Does anyone know the correct size belt equivalent for part 23100-GN2-003 ? I took the drive cover off today to check the belt was OK. It looks fine and is a genuine Honda part, maybe even the original. I thought I'd look around and see what's on offer for replacements just in case. I can find a couple of sellers with NOS parts but these will be old so was wondering what else is on the market. While looking, I can't be sure I've seen the correct size belt being sold.
On the subject of belts, it looks like the Variator has a progressive slope but from the belt marks it looks like it only goes up to about 3/4 of the slope so I'm wondering if that is some kind of restriction on top speed?

Thanks
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Drive Belt Spec 23100-GN2-003?

Post by eclark5483 »

Where did you look for the belt? Partzilla has it for under 20 bucks.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... T-003.html
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

eclark5483 wrote:Where did you look for the belt? Partzilla has it for under 20 bucks.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... T-003.html

I'm in the UK, there is some NOS here but I'd like to see about getting a new belt so would like to know what the actual size of the official part is. From looking at the service manual I think the standard width is 15.5mm but what about the length?

Thanks
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

From another thread I found the oem sized belt may be (654x15x30). There's a Dayco equivalent (7171) that's 652x30 & cross references to the Honda p/n so am guessing that's just about close enough.
Sorry, but this is my first belt drive engine & I'm not sure how critical the belt length & width are. Seems that the width will affect the top speed, but maybe the length also?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Belt width and length are both critical to take full advantage of the Continuously Variable Transmission featured on your Euro Aero equivalent. (Tact? Vision Met-In?) The stock, original belt should measure 15.5mm wide when new, and the Bando manufacturer made them to last until worn. Even a 30 year-old belt can be reliable for a good while. When replacing, Malossi makes (or made...) a replacement with slightly different dimensions designed to work with their slightly larger front pulley. They last a while too.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Belt width and length are both critical to take full advantage of the Continuously Variable Transmission featured on your Euro Aero equivalent. (Tact? Vision Met-In?) The stock, original belt should measure 15.5mm wide when new, and the Bando manufacturer made them to last until worn. Even a 30 year-old belt can be reliable for a good while. When replacing, Malossi makes (or made...) a replacement with slightly different dimensions designed to work with their slightly larger front pulley. They last a while too.
Thanks, I have a Honda Vision 1985 vintage. The belt looked fine without cracks or loose fibres when I had the cover off the other day, but I didn't measure the width. That's my lack of experience with CVT drives showing up. I've not been out on it yet, just waiting for some reasonable weather. When I'm out I'll see what the top speed is and decide then if I need to take another look at the belt.
I noticed a typo I made in an earlier post, the Dayco 7171 is 15.3x652. The best info I can find is that the OEM belt is 654 which I guess is the length in mm. Would 2mm make any difference on the length? Dayco belts are available for good prices in the UK and have a reasonable reputation so I'd like to go that way if I need to replace the belt.