Honda Dio only runs when....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SE50_4_ME
Goped
Goped

Honda Dio only runs when....

Post by SE50_4_ME »

I have have a completely stock Honda Dio SK50. And after around 6 months hibernation I decided to start it. Took a few kicks but started up and idled nicely... so left it ideling for a minute. And then decided to give it a few revs... then stalled out, and this process contined for a while.... just simply refused to rev. So decided to turn some carby screws to no avail. However, when i blocked the hole on the air filter it reved right up like it's perfect.
But i can hardly ride around with my finger over the air box hole...
Just wondering what this phenomenon could be..???
Many thanks.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda Dio only runs when....

Post by cancunia »

Perhaps the bystarter is jammed? If you let it idle for 5 mins does it run ok then? If not maybe you have a jet blocked in the carb.
motormike

Post by motormike »

The main jet is likely plugged or blocked...placing finger over hole increases vacuum pulling gas through the jet
instead of pulling air through the airbox.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

SE50_4_ME wrote:I have have a completely stock Honda Dio SK50. And after around 6 months hibernation I decided to start it. Took a few kicks but started up and idled nicely... so left it ideling for a minute. And then decided to give it a few revs... then stalled out, and this process contined for a while.... just simply refused to rev. So decided to turn some carby screws to no avail. However, when i blocked the hole on the air filter it reved right up like it's perfect.
But i can hardly ride around with my finger over the air box hole...
Just wondering what this phenomenon could be..???
Many thanks.
that my friend is a textbook lean condition. As its already been suggested you could have a blocked main jet. Does it idle on its own? If you can get it to idle set the idle air mixture and idle speed as laid out in the manual. If the screw is out too far it will be lean in the bottom end and may idle but bog as soon as you grab the throttle. Start with the idle air screw out about 1.5 to 1.75 turns remember the idle air screw works oposite of other small engines... In for rich out for lean. Check the air box lid gasket make sure it's actually there in the groove and not leaking. Double check the rubber air hose that connects the air box to the carb and check the clamp check the air filter. If adjusting the idle air screw makes no change at all the the small orifice that feeds it in the float bowl could be blocked and that is one of.the most common carb issues ever. If the small orifice is blocked the main jet could be as well.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock