Will a Spree exhaust fit on an Elite E?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Will a Spree exhaust fit on an Elite E?

Post by Kustomkarma »

Will a nonvariated (Spree) af05e exhaust fit a sb50 Elite E? I know the engines are somewhat similar, but just how similar are the exhaust mounting points?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Will a Spree exhaust fit on an Elite E?

Post by benji »

I think there the same...
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

I ended up tracking done the right pipe. I'll do a side by side comparison when I get it in the mail. I'm going to end up putting the sb50 back together, getting it running, and selling it.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Kustomkarma wrote:I ended up tracking done the right pipe. I'll do a side by side comparison when I get it in the mail. I'm going to end up putting the sb50 back together, getting it running, and selling it.
:thumbwink: The only difference in the NQ50 pipe vs. the SB50 pipe is the NQ50 is straight out, and the SB50 one goes up on an angle. This is a problem for the spree because of the side plastics, but a Spree pipe on an Elite would work just fine and look just as good.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

I wonder if the Spree exhaust is more restrictive than the sb50 seeing as how the sb50 intake and reeds are supposed to flow better.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Kustomkarma wrote:I wonder if the Spree exhaust is more restrictive than the sb50 seeing as how the sb50 intake and reeds are supposed to flow better.
It's very possible yes! The perfect test would be taking the plastics and nq50 muffler of a spree, and putting a sb50 exhaust on, just to see. Honda made so many minor changes each year it's insane :)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings

(From a NON-Spree/SB owner...) I have read and seen comparison pictures of the Spree next to the E pipes. I recall the SB header to be of larger diameter and clearly suggesting higher performance than the Spree item.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings

(From a NON-Spree/SB owner...) I have read and seen comparison pictures of the Spree next to the E pipes. I recall the SB header to be of larger diameter and clearly suggesting higher performance than the Spree item.
Which, in theory, means a Spree with an SB50 muffler, might see an improvement.

So, think I'm going to experiment a bit.

I have that Iowa Edition Spree I'm having painted at the moment that I'm going to just be tuning up. Everyone, of course, knows the Iowa Spree goes at best, 25 mph. The kid I bought it from, could only get it up to 20 as of late, but said he had it at 25 a few times.

What I'm doing with it, is upjetting the main to a #68, swapping out the reeds for SB50 reeds, and to make sure I don't have a restriction in the muffler, I ordered this:

http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=269

I'll update if I need to have the pipe modified so as not to affect plastics, or to fit the exhaust outlet of the cylinder. Totally don't want to ruin hours of restoration and painting of 87' Iowa Spree side panels just for a muffler.

The grand total for the pipe wasn't TOO unreasonable considering the rip offs on eBay that are out there, and the fact that it is brand new so I can paint it any way I like and adjust it any way I like without rust or dent issues.

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

eclark5483 wrote:http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=269

I'll update if I need to have the pipe modified so as not to affect plastics, or to fit the exhaust outlet of the cylinder. Totally don't want to ruin hours of restoration and painting of 87' Iowa Spree side panels just for a muffler.
The pic within your link looks similar to the pipe patthesoundguy tried out. The pipe mounting flange is rotated clockwise from the US Spree/SB50. Jiangwayne's version is about 1 oclock vs Spree at 11:30 or so.

Link to Pat's thread: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 76#p205376
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yep, noticed that before I bought it. Figured some fabrication would be involved. Least now I'll know in advance what to do to prepare for it. Thanks for the link. Looks like he gained some better low end and mid range which is awesome. I'm combining mine with SB50 reeds and higher jetting. If I can just reach 30mph, it will be worth it considering the Iowa Edition 12T final drive gear. If that all works out, I'll swap out for a 13T gear later on and bring it up to 35. Maybe, just maybe, I might see how it does on a BBK later on and slap it up on the dyno. If I do that, I'll use only an SB50 intake and reeds non ported. I'm guessing it won't be as awesome as the MLM, but should give much improvement.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Do you think it's possible to cut the head tube off of a stock Spree pipe and weld it on to the one you bought?

BTW sadly, I had to unload my SB50 for peanuts and the guy is already parting it our on Ebay. :(
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I have no idea. I'm gonna run it by the guys at the shop. They do custom muffler fabrication all the time, so I'd think they'd have a great solution for it.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Kustomkarma wrote:the guy is already parting it our on Ebay. :(

BLASPHEMY !!!! Hate hearing about vintage scooters being torn apart, even if it is to help others who need parts. These are some of the neatest scooters to be found and they make a great past time hobby. They can be soo soo frustrating and impossible at times, and aren't very good as daily drivers, but if I ever sold mine (yeah, fat chance there), I will only sell it to someone who will appreciate them for the historical value. If I wanted to make a few bucks off of scooter parts, I got tons of TaoTao stuff sitting on the shelf I'd have no problem parting with. You'd kind of have to twist my arm a bit on Spree/Elite parts I have stashed on the shelf. Those ain't going to just anybody.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

I hated to do it, but I desperately need the money and space. I had it on the forum, cl, and Ebay for months with no takers. No one around here is really into them and this one was missing the title. Getting one and registering it costs more than the scooter is worth down here, so sadly I decided to let it go. About a third of the last SB50 I had to part out (for the same reasons) ended up in the trash because I couldn't sell all of it.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Quick update, The Jiang Wayne muffler came in last week. Looks like it is still the same one that patthesoundguy used, so yep, it for sure needs to be modified. Having the boys cut and turn the inlet, then also modify the header (then paint with VHT). Gonna try making it look more OEM then what patthesoundguy did. Hoping for pretty decent results after pairing it with SB50 reeds and a #68 mainjet. Getting a digital tach installed as well so I can see what kind of peak RPM's I can pull out of it.