Carb Issues - Jetting Lean and Rich Questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Carb Issues - Jetting Lean and Rich Questions

Post by Drifter562 »

Okay so here's my dilemma my scooter 1987 Honda elite Se50 would bog down low but once it picked up speed it traveled just fine. SO i thought i should have a look at the carb and once opening the carb i noticed the main jet and threads were severely stripped. So I threw out the carb and replaced it with one from 93 SR. The main jet on the 93 SR carb is an #88. So i thought i fixed my issue but my scooter would not travel past 15mph. Took the airbox off and im going 30 but when i hit 30 it wants to cut out and speed falls back to 25 then creeps up to 30 again. My scooter runs better at night and when there is low gas in gas tank. Also since the carb is from a 93SR l the oil outlet line is supposed to go to the carb insrtead i have it hooked up to intake manifold, could this also be a factor.
Also in the service manuals it shows there is a slow jet #35 but mine is missing from the carburator. I hear that the PA carbs did not come with a slow jet but service manual says otherwise. What are your thoughts guys?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Carb Issues - Jetting Lean and Rich Questions

Post by Meatball »

Get a carb from an 87' SE50. I have one on the shelf if interested.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Re: Carb Issues - Jetting Lean and Rich Questions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I guess Honda-san is calling the pressed-in brass standpipe a "jet". They can be coaxed out but the risk of damage is significant.

If missing altogether, you will have an issue. The main at 88 is way big, but otherwise the carb should work if all the parts are there. Consider a 78, and get a good temp gauge to monitor.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH