86 Spree Electrical Issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

86 Spree Electrical Issue

Post by jerz40 »

Hey all,
New issue here, I have an 86 spree with an electrical problem. The other day I went to put a battery in it, and I thought it was weird it "sparked" when I was connecting the connections. After looking at it I noticed the headlight was slightly on but very dim. I got my service manual out, but couldn't really find anything on this particular issue.

Never had this problem before, could it be a bad rectifier, voltage regulator, or ignition switch? I had to put a new fuse in it cuz the old one was blown..... :confused:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 86 Spree Electrical Issue

Post by Meatball »

Is this a proven good wiring harness? As in, has this bike been run before and you were just replacing a battery? Or is this a new (to you) scoot and you dont know what has been monkey'd with electrically? Just wondering if previous owner crossed some wires before you got it.

As you know, the battery doesnt govern the headlight...the charging system does. Ive ran a Spree with a 15yr old COMPLETELY dead battery before for about a week until the new one arrived in the mail. I started it with jumper cables from a car battery and once it started, the headlight shined bright as ever and it ran like a dream when keeping rpm's up. It didnt like to idle with a dead battery tho. Need to keep the revs up and it was fine.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

It is a new to me bike. Never had it running before. Just was doing a few things to prepare it for running and stumbled across this. :?

So yea who knows, maybe there is something messed up somewhere. Or I have a bad relay/regulator/rectifier. I'm not sure, but it may be a crossed wire as the headlight should of never came on.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

jerz40 wrote:It is a new to me bike.
Then I would certainly start by inspecting every inch of the harness front to back. Looking for tell tale signs of micky-mouse handywork. Paying close attention to the Hi/Low switch on the left grip and ignition wiring. Theres a good chance its been "hotwired" in such a way that the headlight is on constant power to the batt. Popping fuses is also a dead giveaway theres something not kosher.

The Hi/Low switch on the left grip is essentially where the headlight SHOULD get its power from....Not the battery. There is a YELLOW wire from that switch that goes directly to the alternator to power the light.

Recap:
From the Headlight to Hi/Low switch on the Left Grip should be One Blue and One White wire....(and a Green Ground wire that goes elsewhere)
From the Hi/Low switch should be a Yellow wire going directly to the Alternator.

Other wires on the Left Grip Switch are:
BLACK: Hot lead from battery to power the Horn, governed by the ignition
LIGHT GREEN: Goes to Horn
LIGHT BLUE: Right Turn Signal
ORANGE: Left Turn Signal
GREY: Goes to Turn Signal Relay
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Ok yup I'm gonna check over that harness from top to bottom front to back today. I'll check out the handle bar controls too. Something definitely messed up somewhere on this harness.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

The harness seems to be fine, didn't see anything wrong with it. Now, when I start it up, the tail light is not coming on, but when I slide the turn signal switch either left or right, the tail light then will come on and the blinkers are VERY bright, noticed it with the headlight too. Hmmm
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Try swapping the rectifier with a known good one. There are instructions on how to test it for proper resistance but Im sure you have one lying around to quickly swap and try. Seems to me your current is not properly regulated...ie: rectifier
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Ok thanks I'll try that today! :)
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Problem solved. Turned out to be just a bad voltage regulator. And to think I went through all the work of swapping the entire wiring harness. :x So remember that guys, if you ever hook a battery up, and the headlight comes on extremely dim, most likely your voltage regulator is bad.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Meatball wrote: Seems to me your current is not properly regulated..
:peace: