Recommend a good scooter battery charger

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Recommend a good scooter battery charger

Post by Littlesprite »

I think it's time I have one of these at my place so I don't have to call a mechanic the next time I need a jump. (Sometimes my scoot sits a while and the battery drains. And it drains fast too so I'll probably put a new battery in soon)

I see there's a bunch on amazon but I wanted to get recommendations from you guys first. Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Recommend a good scooter battery charger

Post by Meatball »

Pretty much any automotive trickle charger will work. Up to you on how "cheap" you want to go. Whenever I buy anything I decide on how good I want it to perform and how long I need it to last. I can get away with dirt cheap stuff from Harbor Freight SOME of the time but if I plan on using it for many years, I need to pay up. Its tough to recommend a certain unit without knowing your price range and personal level of acceptable quality.

Doesnt your bike have a kickstart? If not, you should add one!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

Meatball wrote:Pretty much any automotive trickle charger will work. Up to you on how "cheap" you want to go. Whenever I buy anything I decide on how good I want it to perform and how long I need it to last. I can get away with dirt cheap stuff from Harbor Freight SOME of the time but if I plan on using it for many years, I need to pay up. Its tough to recommend a certain unit without knowing your price range and personal level of acceptable quality.

Doesnt your bike have a kickstart? If not, you should add one!

Ah I guess I'm looking for something under 50. I found some decent ones that shut off so they don't overcharge. But cheap is fine too since I'm just mainly trying to get the scoot running again. (It's been sitting with a dead battery and a flat for a bit as I've been swamped with work and stuff)

It actually doesn't have a kickstart. My scoot is a honda spree, I'm not sure if I should add one since it has the ignition button already.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Battery Tender brand chargers.. Cheap, work. I have both types here at my house, regular, and lithium charger. Had them on 3 scooters and a motorcycle over the winter in a very cold garage. They all started fine this spring with no issue. I installed the end adapters on all my battery and rigged them up to all my bikes so that I can just grab a charger and plug it right in rather then unscrew the battery compartment and access the post.

Here is an Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Littlesprite wrote:It actually doesn't have a kickstart. My scoot is a honda spree, I'm not sure if I should add one since it has the ignition button already.
Your Spree must be of the 84'-85' variety since those two years had no kick. The 86'-87 model certainly did and for good reason. The kickstart has saved my azz more times than I can count. All you need for the swap is a belt cover with a kickstart (from 86-87) and a driveface. Once you have those parts, the swap takes less than 10 minutes.

Read this thread. Seems like Kevin has what you need. He is a trustworthy seller on this site. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34242&p=299088&hili ... rt#p299088
eclark5483 wrote:Battery Tender brand chargers.. Cheap, work. I have both types here at my house, regular, and lithium charger. Had them on 3 scooters and a motorcycle over the winter in a very cold garage. They all started fine this spring with no issue. I installed the end adapters on all my battery and rigged them up to all my bikes so that I can just grab a charger and plug it right in rather then unscrew the battery compartment and access the post.

Here is an Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S
^^^^AGREE^^^^ :2thumbs:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

Thanks Meatball for mentioning me....all those covers are long gone to Kustomkarma!
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

Here's another 'agree' with Battery Tender :thumbwink:; I've bought a couple; inexpensive & they work. :thumbsup: