High idle issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Joe_Sawaska
Noob
Noob

High idle issues

Post by Joe_Sawaska »

Hey guys,

I have just put a new throttle cable on my 84 honda spree. now when i try to start it, it goes to very high revs, and then eventually slows down and stalls. im not very sure what to do to fix it, please help!!!
motormike

Re: High idle issues

Post by motormike »

I suspect you have re-installed the throttle slide incorrectly.
The common mistake is to insert the slide into the carb 180 degrees out of rotation.
There is a "guide pin" inside the carb that MUST align with the slot on the slide that runs the entire length of the slide.
While the slide will assemble in this mis-aligned position, it will NOT close fully, and be held in a wide-open throttle poisition.
The result matches your described symptoms.
Remove top of carb, rotate slide 180 degrees, and match longest slot to the guide pin...re-install and check for full stroke operation. Do you find this condition to be present ? If so, problems solved.
Edit: as stated below, another possibility is as simple as cable hang-up.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

MotorMike speaks words of wisdom. When dropping the slide into the carb barrel, it MUST slide all the way down BELOW the top rim of the carb threads before screwing in the throttle cable cap nut. If it gets hung up and wont slide down (so deep its basically out of sight) then it is most certainly turned 180 degrees from its correct position.

If this doesnt correct the high idle problem, take off your airbox and look into the carb. You will be able to see the "slide" you just installed. Make sure its moving freely up n down when twisting the throttle. Check that it sits all the way down (well, 99.9% down) when throttle is not twisted. If its fine and not getting stuck, it may be a bystarter issue.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The cable can get hung up too... but I'll bet the slide's just in backwards.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Interesting, didn't realise that you can get the slide in backwards! When I first got my scoot, it hadn't been running for about 5 years and took a while to start but ran ok once started so I drained the tank and cleaned out the carb. The carb was clean and after flushing the tank I put it all back together.
At first it wouldn't start at all, I suspected the bystarter so put my finger in the carb mouth to pull some fuel through. After that it started and the engine revved really high on idle. I had to take all of the slack out of the cable adjustment at the twist grip before it would slow down, I suspected a snagged cable but couldn't find any tight spots. The idle is now fine and can be adjusted by the idle screw so I'm fairly sure it's sitting down properly. I can only guess that the previous owner had a problem with idle that was overcome by adjusting the cable.
My engine has does not have a split cable for the oil pump, so it was fairly easy to check the cable was home at both ends.