Throttle cable question for the veterans

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Throttle cable question for the veterans

Post by Jonadz »

So I've been having some issues achieving a higher idle, starts fine and idles well until it's warm(by starter is done doing its job) then my idle drops so low that if I look at it wrong it dies. Have to keep on the throttle to keep it alive sometimes. Idle screw feels like it needs maybe one or to more turns in farther than it will go to be perfect! Sound like throttle cable is stretched right? Adjusting cable at handlebars helps but isn't quite enough to be just right when maxed out, still sounds like cable stretched yea? Checked routing and all seems to be spec. Big question, the carb cap with threads that the cable goes through before being attached to the slide and needle, can you screw that out to achieve a higher idle? Seems
Like it would work right? Few rotations out would pull the needle higher resulting in higher idle? For all I know it was previously tightened to much which would result in a crushing action that would in turn drop the needle ending with a lower idle base line yea? Please tell me
If I'm over thinking this and just need to get a new cable and quit being dumb! Was thinking of adding maybe a thicker o ring inside the cap to still achieve tightness but be slightly raised. Would I cause more problems in doing so? Is the cap actually an adjustment point everyone already knew about and I'm retarded?
motormike

Re: Throttle cable question for the veterans

Post by motormike »

Negative, the cap is not an adjustable component. It is intended to be tight, period.
The throttle adjustment screw on carb and its' relation to the throttle slide and the corresponding adjustment contact point are constant, and should be adjustable regardless of cable slack.
When idle cannot be achieved once the bystarter has completely warmed, the usual culprit is a blocked pilot orifice.
Possibly the incorrect idle adjustment screw has been installed by a previous owner.
Possibly the idle-air mixture screw not correctly adjusted.
Possibly the idle-air passage behind the screw blocked.
I would also clean the main jet and emulsifier tube, just to be efficient.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Thanks motor mike, thinking about it now the cap being pulled up would in fact make the idle screw not meet with the slot so retarded idea on my end lol. Carb is a new OE I had to purchase because mine had more wrong than right, have completely cleaned everything inside and out including emulsification tube I thought was a myth until it blew out the other day. Main jet is clean and an 85, might that be to large, though am running a 48mm bbk. I'll
Compare screws from the new and my old and see if there's a difference tonight. At wits end at the moment with this idle, runs great from start to 40mph though, just the idle is killing me.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Went through 2 cans of carb cleaner and compressor was pumping 80 psi for about an hour last night, everything is clean as a whistle.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

I'll do another round of cleaning and tackle it again tonight, didn't have much time to tinker last night.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Jonadz wrote:Thanks motor mike, thinking about it now the cap being pulled up would in fact make the idle screw not meet with the slot so retarded idea on my end lol. Carb is a new OE I had to purchase because mine had more wrong than right, have completely cleaned everything inside and out including emulsification tube I thought was a myth until it blew out the other day. Main jet is clean and an 85, might that be to large, though am running a 48mm bbk. I'll
Compare screws from the new and my old and see if there's a difference tonight. At wits end at the moment with this idle, runs great from start to 40mph though, just the idle is killing me.
Here's a question: When you say you purchased a new OE carburetor, where did you purchase it from? Honda has not had these in stock for quite some time and if it does not say KEIHIN on it then it's not OE and could possibly be why you are having issues? I'm trying to get the complete picture before making any other suggestions.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Sorry left a few letters out, it's the OEMSTD carb, new but not original, only one I could find online. Tried rebuilding my original with extra parts and just didn't fly!
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

The local guy I've been talking to got me in the habit of saying "OE" for that one and "original" for the actuall oem carb, accidentally carried over into here.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Post pic of carb or the listing where you bought it.

Original Carbs from these bikes are best... replacements are often indifferently made in China and don't work well.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NQ50-Spree- ... Ciid%253A2

This is the guy right here. Packaging says OEMSTD (brand maybe)
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

By starter it came with was dead on arrival, fortunately my original was still in working order.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Post a want-to-buy thread for a good cond. working spree carburetor. They are around and worth the effort to obtain one from a reputable seller here. You say you have parts for one already so don't worry. Most of the eBay stuff is sold just to make money. It does not compare to honda spec whatsoever. Once in a while you get lucky but I know better now. By the way, the spree motor seems to not tolerate anything out of place or substituted parts. The air box and all related parts need to be in-tact and a correctly maintained/oiled air filter is a must.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

+1 on the airbox and filter. Do not let yourself be tempted to try traditional methods of getting more out of an engine. Research it here first. You can get the most out of your Spree with reasonable tunes. Don't try changing it from what it was unless you have to. And congrats on owning one of these classic gems.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

OEMSTD is a brand... name only.

Since you have your original carb I'd seriously suggest you get it working. If you tear down the one you bought and compare closely I suspect you'll find a variety of things that aren't quite right.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Alright, sounds like I need to break the old one back out and swap some pieces and do another deep cleaning! It had a tendency to work great for about 20 minutes then be gummed up. I added an inline filter last night that seems to work well, maybe this last addition will help to keep it running free and clear.