85 Aero 50 fuel problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ryanometer
Noob
Noob

85 Aero 50 fuel problem

Post by ryanometer »

I purchased a really nice aero 50 that had been sitting for several years. New battery, gas tank flush and clean, carburetor clean, new air filter. Ran like a charm but, when I pulled back into the garage after it's first run, there was a steady fuel drip from the carburetor. Decided to clean the carb again and replace the fuel lines while installing an in-line fuel filter. After doing those two things, she wouldn't start again. Noticed that there was no fuel going through the new in-line filter. Pulled the lines off and they were totally dry. Any ideas why the carb isn't pulling fuel to it? Should I replace the petcock?
bonesv

Re: 85 Aero 50 fuel problem

Post by bonesv »

There is a filter inside the fuel tank just above the petcock which may be clogged up with goop/debris. Remove the petcock and carefully using needle-nose pliers, pull the filter tube out. Beware, there is a small o-ring that sits between the filter and petcock which needs to be in place upon reassembly. Fuel should flow from the petcock only when vacuum (light suction) is applied.
The fuel dripping out of the carburetor is another area to investigate. Is the fuel dripping from a vent nipple? Is it coming from the seal area on the bowl? Determine the cause of the leak. Be sure you assembled the carburetor correctly. These are delicate and you could easily get the float/valve jammed in and cause an over-flow condition.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861