87 Honda Elite 50 modifications

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ozone
Noob
Noob

87 Honda Elite 50 modifications

Post by Ozone »

I need some advice. I got this bike running a couple years ago. Replaced the carb. If I ran it everyday it would start right up If I let it sit it would take 20-25 kicks to start.
I have ridden it much in the past 3 years. Now it is very difficult to start. 50 kicks, plus I canÔÇÖt give it any throttle or it will stall. It has to sit at idle for a few minutes before I can rev it up.

Can I put on a mechanical petcock and some is there a way to put on a manual choke.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks,
Tim
bonesv

Re: 87 Honda Elite 50 modifications

Post by bonesv »

It's possible the oil pump has leaked into the motor sitting for that long a time. You may also have a carburetor full of varnished up fuel residue which will clog every tiny port inside of it. Check the fuel in the tank as well, it may be bad and need to be cleaned out and replace the fuel/vacuum lines too.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

Ozone wrote:I need some advice. I got this bike running a couple years ago. Replaced the carb. If I ran it everyday it would start right up If I let it sit it would take 20-25 kicks to start.
I have ridden it much in the past 3 years. Now it is very difficult to start. 50 kicks, plus I canÔÇÖt give it any throttle or it will stall. It has to sit at idle for a few minutes before I can rev it up.

Can I put on a mechanical petcock and some is there a way to put on a manual choke.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks,
Tim
I've got a carb, pipe and big bore on mine and I have same issue, I believe i have it narrowed down to not enough vacuum to open the petcock... cause if I put just a little vacuum on the petcock line, for 20 seconds or so, then it seems to fire up in a couple kicks...

I have not looked into it yet, but I am thinking a manual petcock of some kind is in order...

But first I need to figure out my crankshaft/drive pulley issue.
2017 Yamaha FZ07R Race Bike
1989 Elite E SB50 pit scooter just blowd up... (looking for AF16 to retrofit)
"in order to finish first, one must first finish"
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

i agreed with bonesv's advice, those are big factors causing hard start...also after 3-4 kickers with throttle untouch you could have enough evidences to investigate what the problem is/are by checking spark plug: dries, wets, smells, oils.......for me, without exhaust and airfilter connected it is easier to determine the problems, like... oil leak will comes out from ex's port every time you kick start, or use your fingers cover carb's airfilter hole to see how vacuum and fuel reaction..... when checking spark do it 4-5 times to see if spark is consistency or not...there is no hurts to try to move up or down throttle needle valve...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

My Flash 9 has a stock carb and the same symptoms. The most I can go without starting is 3-4 days. After 5 days, it needs 15 kicks. After 6 it needs 30. The fuel in the carb bowl evaporates and a single kick only opens the petcock long enough for a few drops of fuel to be added to the bowl. Using the e-Starter for 15 or more seconds sometimes gets it to sputter, but you can't apply throttle, so I switch to the kicker to get it running. I suspect it's getting close to time to re-clean the carb, even though I take a ride at least once a week.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH