NGK BPR6HSA and BR6HSA...mix n match?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

NGK BPR6HSA and BR6HSA...mix n match?

Post by Meatball »

I know this topic is beat to death but I just need confirmation. For a 94-01 SA50 the manual recommends BR6HSA...For most other years it calls for BPR6HSA. I know the only physical difference of the two plugs is the insulator and all other critical dimensions are the same. Thanks to "mousewheels" here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13145&p=107415&hilit=br6hsa#p107415

My question: Could I use a BPR6HSA plug in a 94-01? Im sure Honda made the plug change for the AF16 for a reason, I just dont know what that is...
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: NGK BPR6HSA and BR6HSA...mix n match?

Post by kevinv710 »

check this out, Bro
----------------
Spark Plug Codes

Spark plug codes tell a lot of useful information about the spark plug, however, each spark plug manufacturer uses different codes. Here are the most common spark plug codes by brand.
NGK

NGK is the largest manufacturer of spark plugs for motorcycles and ATVs in the world, and come as original equipment on many vehicles. Here is an example of their basic spark plug code.

DPR8EA-9

The first letter of the NGK spark plug code (in this case a ÔÇ£DÔÇØ) indicates the thread size of the spark plug. There are three spark plug thread sizes currently being used in motorcycles and ATVs. ÔÇ£BÔÇØ indicates a 14 mm x 1.25 pitch size, ÔÇ£DÔÇØ indicates a 12 mm x 1.25 size and ÔÇ£CÔÇØ indicates a 10 mm x 1.0 size. The letter ÔÇ£JÔÇØ indicates a 12 mm x 1.25 size with two ground electrodes.

The ÔÇ£PÔÇØ indicates a projected tip spark plug design that moves the spark deeper into the combustion chamber. The letter ÔÇ£KÔÇØ in this location would indicate a 3/8ÔÇ│ hex (wrench) size.

Note; Do not use a projected tip spark plug where it is not called for as it could contact the piston and cause catastrophic engine damage.

The ÔÇ£RÔÇØ indicates a resistor type spark plug. Resistor type spark plugs reduce the amount of radio frequency interference (rfi) that can cause ignition misfires and static on the radio, if so equipped. The letter ÔÇ£UÔÇØ in this location would indicate a surface discharge gap (no ground electrode).

The first number (8 in this example) indicates the heat range of the spark plug, the higher the number the colder the heat range. Generally speaking, a colder heat range is used under high temperature conditions such as racing, while a hotter heat range is used under colder climate conditions. It is best to use the heat range specified by the manufacturer.

The letter ÔÇ£EÔÇØ indicates the reach of the spark plug, that is, the length of the threads. There are two size reaches currently being used in motorcycles and ATVs. ÔÇ£HÔÇØ indicates a 1/2ÔÇ│ reach, while ÔÇ£EÔÇØ indicates a 3/4ÔÇ│ reach.

The letter ÔÇ£AÔÇØ indicates some type of special feature. The letter ÔÇ£BÔÇØ or ÔÇ£CÔÇØ in this location indicates a spark plug designed for racing applications. The letter ÔÇ£GÔÇØ indicates a fine wire nickel alloy center electrode. The letters ÔÇ£GVÔÇØ indicate a gold palladium center electrode. The letters ÔÇ£IXÔÇØ indicate an iridium center electrode. The letter ÔÇ£PÔÇØ indicates a platinum center electrode. The letter ÔÇ£SÔÇØ indicates a copper center core. The letter ÔÇ£VÔÇØ indicates a fine wire gold palladium center electrode. The letter ÔÇ£YÔÇØ indicates a V-grooved center electrode.

The number after the ÔÇô indicates the recommended spark plug gap in tenths of a millimeter. A -8 should be gapped to .8 mm or .032ÔÇ│, -9 should be gapped to .9 mm or .035ÔÇ│, -10 should be gapped to 1.0 mm or .040ÔÇ│ and -11 should be gapped to 1.1 mm or .044ÔÇ│. If there is no number at the end of the spark plug code, it should be gapped to .7 mm or .028ÔÇ│ unless specified differently by the vehicle manufacturer.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: NGK BPR6HSA and BR6HSA...mix n match?

Post by Meatball »

kevinv710 wrote:check this out, Bro
----------------
The ÔÇ£PÔÇØ indicates a projected tip spark plug design that moves the spark deeper into the combustion chamber. The letter ÔÇ£KÔÇØ in this location would indicate a 3/8ÔÇ│ hex (wrench) size.

Note; Do not use a projected tip spark plug where it is not called for as it could contact the piston and cause catastrophic engine damage.
GOT IT! Thanks, Kevin! :2thumbs:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.