Where do I start ?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tri0xinn
Noob
Noob

Where do I start ?

Post by tri0xinn »

About 2 hours into a ride yesterday at full throttle on my '86 spree she completely cut out.. coasted to a stop.. few kicks and back up and running but I could tell something was up(when throttling).. kept riding and about a mile later she died again but hasn't started again yet and just tried to no avail.
Where should I start?
It's not the basics.. gas in tank/oil full.
I'm new at repairing these but I learn quick and I'm gonna start combing this forum for similar problems but though I'd post first just in case it's something simple.
I'll attach a photo of her so you can see who I'm dealing with :) Skinners Bute , Eugene, OR.
Attachments
20170527_164006.jpg
20170527_164006.jpg (225.1 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Wheelman-111

Re: Where do I start..

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Assuming it's not out of gasoline, I'd start with removing the spark plug. Depending on mileage, and from your description of the failure, it might be a burned piston. Sprees are designed to run a long time at full throttle if the jetting is correct and it's getting oil, but everything has a life span. If the carb vibrated loose on your ride and it went Lean because of an air leak, the catastrophe comes quickly.

One of the simplest tests to perform is a compression measurement - you can get a tester from Harbor Freight for under $30 or even less. Make sure you either remove the carb or hold the throttle wide open when you test. Bad reeds can lower compression results and make the scooter almost impossible to start.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Where do I start..

Post by benji »

If it died immediately out of nowhere, then it could be junk in the carb. The sparkplug is easier to check tho. If you kickstart or try to start it a bunch of times, it should get some wet fuel on the sparkplug. If so, it could have a hole in the piston or ignition problem maybe. If it's dry, it could be a clogged carb or petcock.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Where do I start ?

Post by ped »

Great advice as always. Very helpful forum. :thumbwink:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
tri0xinn
Noob
Noob

Re: Where do I start ?

Post by tri0xinn »

Thanks for the tips.. compression.. check... getting gas ..check.. can spray starter fluid directly in and still not firing up.. seems impossible. Just ordered a new coil and plug.. thinking maybe spark weak. I'll update my post after the coil and plug installed. It's so nice out.. wanna be cruising the Spree!!