AF05 Hard to start after standing for a few days

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cancunia
Spree
Spree

AF05 Hard to start after standing for a few days

Post by cancunia »

I wondered if anyone has seen this problem and has a fix?

If I leave my scooter for a few days, it takes about 30 seconds on the starter before it starts, then it runs really rough, won't rev and cuts out if you try to rev it. If you leave it for about 10 mins, then start it & leave it idling for a couple of mins it runs just fine. Starting after that when cold the same day or next day is fine.
I'm guessing the 30 second wait is down to the carb getting empty over a few days maybe and the vacuum tap is a bit weak, but the rough running when it starts after a few days not running has me a bit puzzled.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: AF05 Hard to start after standing for a few days

Post by jakubman1 »

Have you cleaned the carb? Do you have an air filter installed and cleaned and oiled ?
See if your bystarter is operating correctly
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

jakubman1 wrote:Have you cleaned the carb? Do you have an air filter installed and cleaned and oiled ?
See if your bystarter is operating correctly
Yes to both questions. Just about the first thing I did when I got the scoot was to clean the carb. Actually it was quite clean without any crud or varnish. I've seen about testing the bystarter in the manual, is that the best method? Thing is that it'll start & run fine if left for a day and is just a problem after a week or more.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Gas evaporated. Ride scooter more often
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

jakubman1 wrote:Ride scooter more often
That would be my preference but sometimes that's just not possible. 8)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I swish the gas around in mine and start them once a week as good practice to keep them "ALIVE" for another 30 years. Mine are 100% restoration builds. But you don't have to spend but a couple dollars for some probably much needed maintenance. Replace all hoses, clean all filters, replace all fluids, regrease whatever the service manual says can be greased. For a FACT, just this simple "UPKEEP" advice might possibly gain you 1 mile per hour, maybe I am full of it, but please... treat your 30+ year old scooter like a 70+ year old senior citizen in need of a rejuvenation and cleaning to get to feeling 16 again. Take that advice as you will.