Newbie/ question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

svtnos
Noob
Noob

Newbie/ question

Post by svtnos »

Hello all very informative forum yall got here.. Im new my name is Joel im from Almont MI.. couple weekends ago i picked up matching pair of black and pink (ugh) 86 sprees.. ive been having a few tuning issues with one.. and from comparing one to the other, along with what i can find here and the internet.. the one im having a few tuning issues with seems to have a carb off of the honda elite. it has the oil injection port kind of capped off.. would i be better off finding an original style carb or should this carb work fine ???
2- 1986 spree
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Newbie/ question

Post by jakubman1 »

Post pictures duuude
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

How do you know the carb is not original or from an Elite? What carb is it? Also, what does "kind of capped off" mean? Is it capped off or not? How is it getting oil? What "tuning issues" are you having? running? wont start? low idle? Rich? lean? overheat? I dont think I understand what your question is.

Anywho...welcome to the forum! We are happy to help if you provide better info. Diagnosing issues is tough enough in person, much tougher over text when explanations are somewhat vague.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
svtnos
Noob
Noob

Post by svtnos »

well i used the wikispreedia page and compared the pictures it has posted .. ill take my own pictures later when i get home.. the oil line inlet thats on the side of carb has a hose on it with a screw zipped tied inside of it.. the engine gets oil from what looks like a factory inlet on the intake manifold, just like my other 86.. i followed the instructions on wikispreedia for adjusting the air mixture and idle screws.. well the best i could that is.. but right now as it sits, itll start up cold instantly. but once its warmed up it wont stay idling without blipping the throttle.. and if it does stall it wont start back up with the electric starter, it requires a couple kicks on the kick starter..but it runs great at wot, but from a stand still on flat ground if you rip the throttle open it takes awhile to get going up to speed.. id say from 15mph and up it runs fantastic and has awesome throttle response.. its just the down low rpm it lacks heavily on power..

only pic i have on my phone right now lol
2- 1986 spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

Description of symptoms indicates bystarter is not functioning.
Once engine has warmed for 1-2 minutes, the bystarters' job is to close off the enrichment circuit.
When bystarter remains open, too much fuel is being introduced and results is poor idle and rich condition.
Will run okay at WOT.
Remove and test bystarter for function. Follow Wikispreedia instruction.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

AHHH, thats your problem.....youre drinking crappy beer! lololol
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
svtnos
Noob
Noob

Post by svtnos »

Ok i appreciate all the help and advice .. i went to take the bystarter out and found it was held in with one screw! .. and when i went to tighten it down with a new screw i noticed the carb moving too much.. long story short the threadsin the carb were stripped out and it was nowhere near being tightened down.. so i put new bolts and screws in, and put my meter on rpms and adjusted the idel speed screw again .. ran it for a bit let it warm up and so far its way better .. only time will tell..

Lol the bud may not be the best but its a step up from the watered down * beer of budlight we used to indulge in ..
2- 1986 spree