Aero 125 front brake sticking

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

churioz
Noob
Noob

Aero 125 front brake sticking

Post by churioz »

I recently purchased an nh125. I replaced the rear tire and the only other issue is that when I come to a complete stop, the front brake will stick when I go again. The front tire will shake/vibrate for a few feet until the brake releases. I took the tire off and it looks like the brake shoes have a bunch of material so they are probably new or newer. I also noticed that there is a little spring on the wheel that returns the brake cam when the brakes are released.

I'm thinking that I've got a combination of two things going on. That spring has less tension as a result of the meaty brake pads so it isn't pushing back on the cam hard enough to make them release and the spring is just fatigued after 30 or so years of use. Could it be that after the front pads have worn down some that the spring will do its job? Or am I missing something here? I thought about getting a new spring altogether.

The previous owner hadn't ridden it in years and sold it through a third party. That third party might have replaced the front brakes.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: Aero 125 front brake sticking

Post by kevinv710 »

checking with manual service to see if you have anything missing......if brake cable has slow sticking or stuck, remove brake cable from brake lever and other side from the wheel, no need to remove it from scooter...use a small plastic bag, have some wd40 in the bag, tight it up on the top of cable (lever side) squeeze the bag slowly to force the wd40 into inner cable until it moving freely...and then time to remove all parts from front brake hub, clean them, grease them up.....now, time to put them back and enjoy ridding your scooter.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I bet it's not spring fatigue. Try Kev's cable remedy first.
If you find your cable moves freely, consider the hub. The brake cable attaches to an "arm" clamped to a Steel shaft inserted into the Aluminum brake hub assembly. Steel and Al + Sodium Chloride = Corrosion. I've seen them seized so hard from corrosion that it took several HARD whacks with a hammer to drive the shaft out. Ream the Al - You - Minnie - Yum with a stiff wire brush - a battery terminal cleaner might do. and polish up the steel shaft. Then slather some high-temperature grease and bolt 'er back together. (Don't put so much grease that it risks dripping on the shoes...) If corrosion is TOO severe, you might consider replacing one or both parts. If the shaft has enough play it can jam even with grease, and your life could depend on it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

Greetings churioz... :hi:
FYI: I have front brake parts from NH125 if you find yours need replaced.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"