Spree Bogging Down and Over-revving

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

pprice
BMX
BMX

Spree Bogging Down and Over-revving

Post by pprice »

Hello,

I've been trying to get this one Spree running for over a year now. I think I finally have most of the issues sorted out, but there is one last one that I can't seem to get.

It has a hard time starting (whether cold or warm) and I've been using a drill with a socket on the starter sprocket to start it so I don't kill my battery or wear out the kick start until I can get it to run reliably. When I do get it to start, I try tuning the carb as stated in the manual (find the highest idle speed with the mixture screw when warm and then adjust the throttle stop screw til the back wheel stops spinning). The mixture screw only seems to affect idle for about the first 0.5-0.75 of a turn (which is almost killing it) and then after that no matter how far I turn out the screw, the idle seems to stay the same.

I can get it to idle okay it seems, but when I rev it up under no load, it almost seems like the throttle is sticking because it keeps running at the RPM even after the throttle is released (the throttle is NOT sticking through as I confirm it goes back to the idle position). When I sit on the moped and very gently (pretty much no force at all) hold it in place and give it gas, it bogs down and if I don't release the throttle right away it will die. I can get it going by pushing with my feet and it still seems to struggle until it gets to a certain RPM and then it picks up fine. Again, if I let off the throttle at this point it seems like I set cruise because the Spree will not decrease in speed unless I press the brakes.

I've tried everything that I can think of and looked through the entire manual multiple times and haven't been able to figure out what the deal is. Any help or suggestions would be awesome. I had another Spree that didn't run and was able to fix that one up in under a week (sadly that's the one I sold though).

Thank you!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree Bogging Down and Over-revving

Post by Meatball »

Little more info on the parts involved. Is it a stock spree carb, Airbox and Exhaust? Anything on the scoot thats not OEM? Pics?

Maybe sounds like a possible air leak or a wonky carb.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

That kinda sounds like a bad clutch to me. Well part of the trouble anyway... Have you tried removing the bell housing and scuffing up the pads and bell? Try that and see if it helps, if it does, you'll wanna have that clutch repadded.
pprice
BMX
BMX

Post by pprice »

Sorry in advance, posting from mobile.

The air box is sealed other than the inlet with a new filter that has been oiled. I cooked the exhaust and beat on it a little to break out some of the carbon and it doesn't seem clogged.

I had the stock carb on and it did the same thing so I bought an aftermarket one and still has the same problem.

The clutch was pretty much gone when I got the Spree so I already had it re-padded.

What pictures would be helpful, I can take some and put them up?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I swear by the stock carb for a Spree to be happy. I personally have never had luck with aftermarket jobbers. I actually had one that seemed to work fine until I rode it, then I had to re-adjust. Then I had to play with it after EVERY ride. It would never just stay put no matter how much I played with it. I'll never buy a cheap no-name carb again.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Sounds like an airleak to me a racing idle and stalling. Check your crank seals and all gaskets for a leak did you use a new echaust gasket? Check around the exhaust flange for oil residue if there is any tighten the fnage a little and if it dosnt stop then replace the gasket. That small of an airleak could be causing the racing idle. Every time you start it does ot run difrent?
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
pprice
BMX
BMX

Post by pprice »

I replaced the crank seals already and have a new exhaust gasket on it. I'll double check for air leaks tomorrow though. I just don't know where the extra air would be coming in with replacing all the gaskets.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Don't rev the bike on the stand. It goes into a very weird over-rev/runaway mode that doesn't correspond to any other operating condition.

If bike is not coming off throttle during operation, check your cable and return spring.

Aftermarket carbs are not great on these bikes. Suggest you get stock working. Perhaps the bystarter on your replacement carb will work as a spare.

Hard start at cold on stock carb is either bystarter or ensureing the little opening at bottom of bowl (that feeds bystarter) is open. It is open, yes?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
pprice
BMX
BMX

Post by pprice »

Can't find any air leaks anywhere or see what the problem would be coming from. Only other thing that I forgot to mention is that I rebuilt the top end of the engine from an online kit because it was seized when I got it. Any other ideas?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Cheapie China carb and no-name top end rebuild kit...recipe for disaster. Those carbs cost $25 brand new and the rebuild kits cost $40. Even at those prices they make a profit since they cost only a few dollars to make. No surprise they dont work right.

No doubt if you find a USED Spree top end with 2k mi on it and re-build a stock carb...it'll run for thousands of care-free miles without issue.