Af16.. Which Belt?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

birdman
Spree
Spree

Af16.. Which Belt?

Post by birdman »

Hello all.
I have a quick question about belts you guys are running, how they fit and how you like em. I've been using Polini belts for awhile, but I'm kinda upset with the fitment. I've been thinking about trying out malossi belts, bando, or kn kikaku. G9 says kn belts are his fav and I'm kinda leaning towards the kn. The bando belt says it fits gy6 50s as well as elite so that alone makes me skeptical about the fitment of it on my elite. The malossi belt is a wildcard here I know nothing about it. I just want to know which belts your running and how do you like it? Any answers input or help is greatly appreciated.

PS I'm not using ZX Trans setup, it's stock rear pulley.
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
birdman
Spree
Spree

Re: Af16.. Which Belt?

Post by birdman »

welp. I ordered up a malossi belt. I will try it and report back...
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

Well in my opinion the malossi belts fit way better than the Polini. It sits lower in the front pulley and higher on the td. Not going back to Polini belts. Next will be a kn kikaku or bando, and I'll report again
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Thanks for the update, Birdman. Ive been un-impressed with Polini belts myself. They actually worked well in an AF05 but lost a bit of performance on an AF16. Seems odd, I know, but it did for me. Speaking in terms of a stock AF16...I switched back to the Bando. Once I tossed a ZX Trans into the mix, the Malossi Kevlar was better than Gates (no surprise). I have yet to try a Bando for the ZX....yet.

Maybe we can spark a thread about best belt results from different vari/trans set-ups. I personally would like to know the best belt to use on an AF16 with a ZX trans and Polini for Ruck vari.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I never had much luck with the Bando. Snapped on my blue TaoTao in only about 400 miles. Maybe I just got a bad one, maybe it just couldn't handle the CVT heat, who knows. Using Malossi now, so far so good. Seem to have picked up a couple mph as well. So that's the one I'll be using in my AF05 (if/when I ever get around to it).
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

eclark5483 wrote:I never had much luck with the Bando. Snapped on my blue TaoTao in only about 400 miles. Maybe I just got a bad one.
Bando belts are fairly bulletproof. Could be the Chonda youre using it on. Ive never "broken" a Bando but have worn one out and glazed another beyond usable condition from negligent slippage. Ive also shredded a Polini belt but that was 100% my fault.
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Post by ansneds »

So based on what you guys are saying: Malossi is best for performance, bando is decent, polini is junk?
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I HONESTLY think I just got a bad belt. The TaoTao had BBK, A9 cam, PG drive face, Polini this and that. The only thing Chinese was the block and crank. But I have heard many, many good things about Bando. Polini I have no opinion as I have never used one. Malossi, so far good results, even better then Bando results. Take that as you will.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

ansneds wrote:So based on what you guys are saying: Malossi is best for performance, bando is decent, polini is junk?
The Polini certainly isnt junk. Good quality belt by a reputable company, for sure. There isnt going to be any considerable "gains" by just swapping brands of belts since it all comes down to belt width and length. Tuning your belt's ride height with proper boss length and boss shims can optimize whichever belt you choose. Sometimes even the stock belt on a completely stock motor can be improved by a bit of belt tuning.

There have been reports of some "Kevlar" belts actually hindering performance on a stock set-up since they are stiffer and require more effort to roll around the pulleys. Them stiff belts are best saved for use on modified builds where a stronger belt would be beneficial.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

I can testify to the malossi Kevlar hindering a stock setup. I have one but ended up using a used stock belt as the Kevlar added nothing but issues. Hopefully
One day my can put it to use.
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

Glad everyone is chiming in. I was actually riding to work this morning and the malossi snapped on me, I didn't count milage but I feel like it bit the dust a little faster than the Polini. So durability goes to Polini imo if that's your priority. Better Fitment and performance with a slight sacrifice in durability is what the malossi belt offers. SSS seems to no longer carry the kn belt and no one has the bando anymore.. So there's a pause in my research for now, until I can get my hands on a kn or bando
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I think scrappydogscooters still carries the Bando.

http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/139QM ... mance.html

The have them for the Chinese one's anyway (669-18-30). Might wanna look around the site.