Spree Dies after 10 min of driving

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Spree Dies after 10 min of driving

Post by gaaunapoi »

I have a Honda Spree. I have replaced the petcock, ignition coil, carb (used but thoroughly cleaned), muffler (original), air filter (original), and more.

It runs great and usually starts on the first kick.

Last night and today I was riding it to work or home and about 10 minutes into the commute I felt it start to loose a bit of power then die within 15 sec. All I do after that is pull over and restart it and it is good for awhile.

Each time it has happened it has been on long stretches when I am running full throttle.

Idk what is wrong, the ignition coil is still hooked up and the vacuum line is on tight.

Any ideas? Thanks :)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree Dies after 10 min of driving

Post by Meatball »

This has the signs of a possible soft seize. However, a soft seize would typically occur when temps rise very quickly. If youre running 10 minutes of full throttle and this happens, Im leaning towards a dirty carb.

Try this: remove one side panel, put your spark plug tool and a pair of gloves in your pocket, go for a ride and make it die like you describe. After you pull over, let it cool a bit and check to see what the plug tip looks like.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

like Meatball said, sounds like dirty carb or maybe float level is off. would look into both
projects galore :nerd:
motormike

Post by motormike »

Agree that the symptoms point toward fuel starvation due to decreased delivery rate.
This condition has several possible culprits.
1. Internal screen (fuel tank)
2. Fuel lines compromised by age.
3. Replaced fuel lines of incorrect diameter.
4. Fuel filter clogging.
5. Carburetor compromised by varnish or debris or maladjusted float level, or...clean it.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

Okay, I looked at it today. First thing I saw was that I was missing one of the bolts that hold my carborator and thus it was indeed probably running lean and soft seizing. (The carb was originally a little stripped but this time I put nuts on the other side so everything is tight.

I tried to retune the carb again though and it keeps wanting to die if the throttle isn't on (especially if I let off the throttle fast and stay off stopping fast). I tried to adjust the idle screw, but it didn't even make the tire spin like it usually would have if I turned it in a bit. So it almost seems as though something is still wrong.

I can try cleaning the carb on Sunday. And I have a picture of the spark plug attached.

Any ideas are appreciated :) Tha k you guys so much!

gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

Oh and the fuel lines are pretty new and rubbery and should be the right size. The fuel filter is also new as of a few months ago.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Where in WA are you?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That plug looks pretty gummed up! The fragments of carbon could be fouling it periodically. Cheap enough to replace.

The carb mount is such a critical piece of the Spree pie that it's a bit of a shock that Honda-san relied on a few mm of thread in flimsy Keihin cast aluminum to secure it. It's shocking how little torque it takes to munch those threads and strip the mount. Be sure the insulator is correctly positioned. There are 4 ways to install it. Three are wrong. "Ears" downward, and you need to see metal-rubber-plastic-rubber-metal.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

Okay I will check the way the spacer is. I am going to tear it down and clean it and see if I find anything. I got another soft seize yesterday so it wasn't just the bolt :p I was hoping for simple.

Yeah those carbs really do strip easy!
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

I am in Walla Walla area
gaaunapoi
Noob
Noob

Post by gaaunapoi »

The bystarter was stuck in the carb, so idk if that could have cause my problem? It came out in peices so I will have to order another or maybe the local Honda shop would have one.

Also is this hole (the one my index finger points to) supposed to have a hose or something? Because while taking the carb off fuel from the bowl was able to come out.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Hmm, invisible fingers.
The carb bowl does have an overflow port - if the float needle fails. Yeah a hose is a good idea to route the dropping fuel away from your belt, but most of us lose/omit the hoses, counting on the float valve never to fail. There were probably all kinds of EPA Rules and Reasons why Honda couldn't.
Your bystarter could cause problems if air was getting in.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH