Shot oil pump

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

reitmeyer
Noob
Noob

Shot oil pump

Post by reitmeyer »

Just bought a 85 Spree. Wouldn't start. I have spark, once I removed the oil from the plug. I cranked it with the plug out and it is blowing oil, hard. I assume the oil pump is shot and siphoning oil in. Yank the pump and plug the holes; then just run mixed gas? Easier option?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Shot oil pump

Post by eclark5483 »

Buy a ring for it, probably is old and worn.

Part Number: 91301-147-023

You can get it online (more expensive), or at your local Honda dealer.

http://honda.mymcparts.com/p/Honda_1986 ... 7-023.html
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Your pump is probably just fine. When these things sit un-used for weeks/months/years the oil will seep very slowly through the oil pump impeller into the crankcase. Eventually the oil will fill the crankcase or the oil reservoir will be emptied, whichever comes first. You need to drain the excess oil from the crankcase and Im betting it will purr like a kitten. I can only imagine how much oil was forced into your exhaust while you were cranking it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
reitmeyer
Noob
Noob

Post by reitmeyer »

Im told the bike sat for 7 years, it may have just seeped into crank case. What's my quickest way to drain it; pull cylinder and tip? Is that easier than cracking the case? You're right, I will need to pull and clean exhaust so that's why I thought to pull cylinder to drain.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The easiest way is to pull the oil pump off and tip the bike over. This is best done with a friend to help. Of course, since its sat for 7 years you should have already drained the old gas and oil out of the tanks so you wont need to worry about those fluids dumping out while you tip it.

It can be tricky to get the oil pump re-installed. Just shoving it back in its hole is not the way. You must get its gear to mesh with the teeth on the crankshaft. To do this, you pull the fan cover off and (by hand) rock the fan back and forth while installing the pump. This motion turns the crank and gets the gears of the pump/crank to find its happy place. When properly meshed, you'll be able to "feel' the crank (by means of twisting the fan) spinning smoothly without gear grinding.

Since its sat for so long, you NEED to get a new air filter, sparkplug and fresh gas/oil. After its running, you should also think about fresh tires, belt and anything rubber that is dried out and cracked from age.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Best way to clean the exhaust is to burn the oil and carbon out of it. Some people suggest to use a BBQ but it renders your grill utterly un-usable to cook food on afterwards. It leaves a nasty black soot coating on the entire thing that I wouldnt want to eat. I use one of those portable fire pits on my patio. After a few minutes, the burning oil/carbon inside begins to emit a death black smoke which eventually turns into flames shooting out from both ends. Its quite a spectacle. Rotate it around and be sure all areas get cooked and wait until smoke/flames have stopped...then its clean!

Wait until its fully cooled and blast air through it to blow out any loose particles. For me, I use my leaf blower. Then hit it with some hi-temp spray paint (if you wish) and you have yourself a clean exhaust!
Attachments
image1 (6).JPG
image1 (6).JPG (171.06 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You forgot to tell him to use KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. :lol:
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Nothing like a good ole' fashioned exhaust cook up ;)