86 Spree - Starts-Idles ten seconds-DIES

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

86 Spree - Starts-Idles ten seconds-DIES

Post by SciFiGuy »

Well, I've been trying to get this 86 stock Spree running right for a few months now, off and on. It gets good spark. It is getting fuel. I decided to buy a brand new (not rebuilt) carb, and installed that today. Still does same thing it has done from day one. It has 1,400 miles on it.

Engine cranks fine. Engine starts and idles. The throttle cable has absolutely no effect on RPM's, although you have to pretty much open it full throttle for it to even start. Then after 5-10 seconds it dies. Going back and forth on the throttle does not raise the RPMS, or change them in any way.

About the carb screws: The idle screw, the one with the spring, I set it in and then turned it out 1 and a half turns. The flat screw, (fast idle?) that is below it...I tried that one set out at one-half, three quarter, and a full turn diferent times.

This one has me stumped for sure, and I'm not bad with Japanese tech. My other rig is an 88 Nissan truck that I pretty much restored by myself.

Compression test is good, and I did service the air filter. Spark test against metal with the plug was good. It has been running like this since I bought it. Forgot to say that.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: 86 Spree - Starts-Idles ten seconds-DIES

Post by kevinv710 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34487
i've been waiting for you to have your Spree ready, you have advertising everywhere here and in Seattle CL....even actual picture NO, bike ready NO, title....uhm NOT ON HANDS, but i strongly believe it's made by GOLD, so i wanted it BADLY, please HURRY fix it up, i cant wait anymore longer, i will turn around to re-sell it in Dubai, at least i can get a couple million dollars in profit.
SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Post by SciFiGuy »

kevinv710 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34487
i've been waiting for you to have your Spree ready, you have advertising everywhere here and in Seattle CL....even actual picture NO, bike ready NO, title....uhm NOT ON HANDS, but i strongly believe it's made by GOLD, so i wanted it BADLY, please HURRY fix it up, i cant wait anymore longer, i will turn around to re-sell it in Dubai, at least i can get a couple million dollars in profit.
Sprees are tricky. It isn't like I ever owned one before. I have not. But like everything I do, I give it my best effort, try to be honest, and work with folks as best I can.

I took down the Craigslist ad. I think I may send this one to the scooter repair place down on Boat Street in Seattle. I don't like being beat by Japanese tech, and so far, I never have. But this one is the first two-stroke I've ever encountered. It was a nice gift for some extensive yardwork. And I didn't advertise it 'everywhere,' just today for a while on Craigslist. It isn't like I need the money, Mr Sir. I sold my last book for the movie, which is coming next year.

I may look stupid, but appearances can be deceiving. You would not BELIEVE what we have set up for the Great American Eclipse this year.

Forget the pathetic Spree. Come to THIS and have some real fun.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Dont take it to a shop. You'll get raked over the coals and they wont know how to REALLY fix it. Your best bet is to cut your losses and sell it as non-running for cheap. You're right, Spree's ARE pathetic and we love them. Theyre small, slow, old and a pain to fix sometimes....and yes, we still love them. If you want to sell it AS-IS to a true Spree Superfan, dont put any more money/time into it and sell it here. Theres plenty of us on here (including me) that would take this project off your hands for a fair price.

Also, keep all the original parts youve replaced with aftermarket stuff like starter, carb, etc.....we re-build those around here.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Post by SciFiGuy »

Meatball wrote:Dont take it to a shop. You'll get raked over the coals and they wont know how to REALLY fix it. Your best bet is to cut your losses and sell it as non-running for cheap. You're right, Spree's ARE pathetic and we love them. Theyre small, slow, old and a pain to fix sometimes....and yes, we still love them. If you want to sell it AS-IS to a true Spree Superfan, dont put any more money/time into it and sell it here. Theres plenty of us on here (including me) that would take this project off your hands for a fair price.

Also, keep all the original parts youve replaced with aftermarket stuff like starter, carb, etc.....we re-build those around here.
That's good advice. I kept all the parts carefully. It was a gift. I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with it and I did what I could. My best assessment after (gently) using the electric starter and having it fire and run like that is a carb problem, but not too serious. I will go to Connie this week for the title. I like my Nissan Truck and that's where most of my attention goes. I spent a few hours this afternoon on the Spree, but decided it was beyond my abilities. You have to know when to move on and leave it to someone else. I have to deal with the guys who want to solve the DB Cooper Case as a motion picture, and make sure the eclipse campout goes as scheduled. I love that Spree, but it's been tough. I have to consider everything else, as well.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Like i said...if youd like to part ways with it, let me know. Keep in mind, its not running and the sale price would reflect that. You take it to a shop and theyll charge you $500 to fix it and you'll never get your money back from it...running or not.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Post by SciFiGuy »

Well, I spent most of the day working on the bike. I determined it is definitely a problem in the carb. It will start up right away, but won't run longer than 10 or 15 seconds. I know the float is sticking because there is gas coming out the top overflow on the carb. In other words, it starts, and then it's flooding out.

Original owner has offered to buy it back for $200, because she says I did a lot of hard work for her, and if the Spree won't run properly, I should get something for my work. We've been friends for a lot of years. I may take her up on the offer.

I bought a new carb for it, but it has an extra air hose outlet coming off the carb where the throttle cable goes in. The float is also thinner, and the setup is a bit different. It doesn't look like that makes any difference. However, they (carb makers) also have two additional air outlets in the body, which they connected with a single hose. I think this was an effort to make the carb fit a wider range of Sprees. In any case, I didn't use it, although I used the gaskets from it for my old one, since they were new and an exact match.

The starting-and-flooding-out gas problem seems to be the ONLY problem. That points to float, I think. I will work on it later in the week. If I don't sell it back to Connie, I will go ahead and get the title from her anyway before I put it back up for sale. I don't want to part it out. The body, accessories, lights, general condition are too good to just junk it. If I take it to a shop, I will get an estimate first before approving any repairs.
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

Get rid of the stock, old hoses and replace with some new lines from Autozone or whereever. Since you've replaced the carb and are ruling that out, you're probably not getting a good vacuum to pull fuel into the bowl. That ,or your fuel filter inside the tank is crusted over.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

So I had a similar problem, my spree would only run for about 10 sec or once the starting fuel was all burnt up. I cleaned the dog * out of carb, soaked it the carb cleaner for 3 days .You really need to make sure its clean. There a few little holes in the carb that if blocked it will not run. Also make sure you have the throttle cable installed correctly it easy to mess up. Were the cable screws on the carb, thier is aneedle like piece of metal and small shroud that holds the spring it place. The shroud has a notch that lines up in the carb housing. If you have it backwards it wont stay running and if for some reason you do get it to start, the throttle will be stuck open.

Also I know its kinda of pricey, but spree's really DONT like non oem parts. Their are some quality aftermarket companies. STAY AWAY from the EBAY parts that "fit" on the Spree but not like they should. I had better luck buying a parts bike and using 30 year old parts instead of the cheap crap you see on ebay.