Questions regarding repairs to a Honda Elite E 1989

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ThoughT
Noob
Noob

Questions regarding repairs to a Honda Elite E 1989

Post by ThoughT »

Hi all, new here.

I've had a Honda elite E from 1989 in my garage for a few years and I am a complete novice when it comes to cars/scooter repair. I have a few things that I need help with and could use any assistance you are willing to give. Thanks in advance.

1. It wants to shut off when I do U turns. It was in my garage for about 2 years and I recently started it up. I put in fresh gas, but it likely had less than 1/4 a tank already of old fuel and then put in additives to clean the fuel injector and corroborator. It's been doing a bit better with those additives but I am not sure what the issue is.

2. How do I change the oil on this thing?! I found a gold flat head screw on the side, right above the engine I think, but I think old gas or some sort of liquid came out. Definitely not oil.

3. I purchased a new battery for it, but I think my alternator is dead. It lights up everything bright when I am revving the engine, but if I am not, the blinkers, horn, etc barely works. How can I replace this and how much does it cost?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Questions regarding repairs to a Honda Elite E 1989

Post by Meatball »

Take it to a shop
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Scooter that has sat unridden for a "few years" with gas in the tank and carburetor will need to be emptied, flushed, and cleaned thoroughly.
Inside the carburetor are components that become varnished with evaporated gasoline, and subsequently will not function properly.
1. I suggest that the complaint you have of "dying in U-turns" is directly related to your gummy carb internals, and clogged idle jet, and low fuel level in the carb bowl.
2. The Elite you have is a
2-STROKE ! !Such engines DO NOT have oil bath crankcase like a 4-stroke. You really need to read about the difference before you start playing mechanic.
3. Your description of the "lights getting brighter when revving" is exactly what an alternator (stator) does when working properly. I suspect you put a new battery in without giving it proper initial charging time on low amperage setting.

Good luck in learning about your scooter. This link below will take you to the Wikispreedia pages. Click and search and read.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ThoughT
Noob
Noob

Post by ThoughT »

I'm confused. If it's a 2 stroke engine, why does it have a separate oil and gas cap?

Also is there any way to clean out the internals without taking everything apart?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

You really should do some reading about what it is you own. At the point youre at, you should put the tools down and read read read. DO NOT just blindly take things apart and ask a zillion questions on how to re-assemble. You need to learn to swim before jumping into the deep end.
ThoughT wrote: How do I change the oil on this thing?! I found a gold flat head screw on the side, right above the engine I think, but I think old gas or some sort of liquid came out. Definitely not oil.
This comment here shows that youve taken a screw out of the carburetor while trying to change the oil that doesnt exist. Obviously you know little-to-nothing about how 2-stroke engines function and THATS OK! We all started somewhere. Nobody here will belittle you for your lack of knowledge. However, before we can be of any help to you, you need to educate yourself to a certain point. Frankly, youre not there yet.

The internet has a wealth of information about 2-stroke engines and specifically the Elite/Spree or anything with a small engine. Knowledge is power, my friend.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

ThoughT wrote:I'm confused. If it's a 2 stroke engine, why does it have a separate oil and gas cap?

Also is there any way to clean out the internals without taking everything apart?
2-stroke engines require gasoline and oil to be mixed together at a certain ratio to properly lubricate the internals and fuel the combustion chamber at the same time. Your Elite is equipped with an Oil Injection system that mixes this FOR you. Just fill the Fuel and Oil tanks and the bike will pull from each reservoir to achieve the proper mixture it requires to run properly.
motormike

Post by motormike »

ThoughT wrote:...is there any way to clean out the internals without taking everything apart?

No, some dis-assembly is required.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"