1985 Petcock Question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cpetersATL
Noob
Noob

1985 Petcock Question

Post by cpetersATL »

Hello Everyone!

I recently picked up a 1985 Spree that was missing the fuel petcock. I have ordered 3 different ones off ebay and all 3 are too big. I am confused. Is there a different petcock "nut" size on the 84-85 models vs the 86-87 models?

The 1st petcock I ordered was for an 86-87, I understand that and ordered the wrong one if there are different sizes for different years. The 2nd 2 I ordered were for 84-85 models but the "nuts" are still too big to fit my fuel tank treads. I know I could just measure, but as you know most of the petcocks on ebay are just mass produced and are not listed with any dimensions.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help/info. Chris
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 Petcock Question

Post by Meatball »

I did the same thing a long time ago. Ordered a $3.99 petcock from Ebay that said "fits Honda NQ50" and it did NOT! Threads were too coarse and nearly stripped my gastank threads before i realized it. Oh well, I used the filter it came with anyways.

The best (most expensive) thing to do is order an OEM part here: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html Comes with in-tank filter and all.

Next best thing is to find a good USED OEM one (from an 85') from Ebay or someone here on the forum. Someone on here, Im sure, has one in good shape. THIS should be the best option. The one I'd choose.

Third best thing to do is delete the petcock altogether and install an in-line shut-off valve. Youd need to turn it off/on every time you ride the bike. This option sucks IMO. I always forget simple things like this. I KNOW Id flood my garage.

Forth option is keep buying new cheapie ones off Ebay until you find one that fits. Theres been reports of some of them fitting...most dont. This option is by far the worst. Total crapshoot.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

5th option, electric fuel
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

Yes, the 86 nut size is different than the 84 and 85. I believe the 86 is larger, but i'd have to look when I get home. We encounter the same issues with Aero's, Elites, etc. Hang onto that one, you might need it for your next Spree.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8