NQ50 Spree Battery

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GMSierraon24s
Noob
Noob

NQ50 Spree Battery

Post by GMSierraon24s »

Well, I was given a Honda Spree Model: NQ50 Color is R-127. I'm not sure what year this spree is. I'm thinking that its an 1984 or 1985. I did a quick search on this battery that I current have which is a Yakia YB4L-B. This battery has a battery acid over-flow tube. I tried to charge the current battery with a battery charger but had no luck. The current battery you have to maintain the acid right?

I'm looking to buy a battery that is maintenance free. Any suggestions?

The spree has been seating in a shed for awhile maybe years. I'll do more searching on here to see what I have to do clean out the the old gas or maybe new spark plug to start. I'm a total newbie to mechanical work. That's one of the main reasons why I was looking forward to this slow project when I have free time every so often. Thanks for any help is very much appreciated!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: NQ50 Spree Battery

Post by eclark5483 »

You'll also want to change the air filter, and possibly even the tires. Post a pic of it and we can tell you what year red spree it is. Lots of info here to help you out.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Start by downloading and reading the front of the Spree workshop manual. The workshop manual is at:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/manual ... Manual.pdf

Page 1.2 of the service manual shows the location of the VIN sticker. If you lay on the ground on the right side of the scooter, with your head near the front wheel and look up, you will see it on the frame down tube.. the year of the scooter will be in large font on that sticker..

These gel batteries work just fine, and because they are gel filled, they can come in the mail.. it's hard to beat the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YTX4L-BS-Scoote ... SwhQhY72sY

I have purchased one of these from this vendor and they indeed do ship fast and free... less than a week from order to delivery..
GMSierraon24s
Noob
Noob

Post by GMSierraon24s »

Thanks for the responses. I looked over the pictures I took earlier this year of the numbers/information I found on the spree. I forgot I took a picture of the year which is 1984. The battery you suggested should work for this year. Any suggestions of where to get a new air filter? Do you have a go to place for all your parts?

I'll try to do more searching on this forum instead questions I could probably get by doing more searching.

Thanks again!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Noiseguy, who owns the forum, sells filters. If you buy one of his, make sure it is properly oiled. He sells on eBay. Otherwise, only use a Honda brand filter which comes preoiled.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

GMSierraon24s wrote: Any suggestions of where to get a new air filter? Do you have a go to place for all your parts?
I get all my filters from HERE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ5 ... Zl&vxp=mtr
He offers the filter without the sparkplug for $9 but for only $3 more, why wouldnt you?

There is no "go to" place to get all parts. Seems like every different part is acquired from many different places. Its not like 30yrs ago when you could roll up into a Honda dealer and they'd have every nut/bolt for a Spree. Let us know which particular part youre after and someone can point in the right direction.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Agreed. Take the combo. Not that I am pimping any of Noiseguy's stuff, but it's a good deal compared to the rip off price other's ask. I say this because Spree's are picky, they don't like it when you go with unknown/untested parts. These bikes are over 30 years old. They are senior citizens of the scooter world, they deserve your respect and will pay you back with all they have to give of themselves if you treat them right. Sounds kind of silly I know, but trust me, this couldn't be more accurate.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

eclark5483 wrote:They are senior citizens of the scooter world.
They require an occasional sponge bath... :ndance:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

If your Spree 84-85 model year the battery should be xx4L-B a little wider than xx4L-BS are for 86-87.
GMSierraon24s
Noob
Noob

Post by GMSierraon24s »

Does it matter what battery I choose between the -B or -BS, other than as stated above the physical differences?
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

-B has about 5-7 milimeter wider than -BS, physical performance NO, fitting YES. But if you end up order vise versa, cut a paper carboard or foam insert to that space for BS on 84-85...or knock off the plastic blocking spacer on battery box compartment for -B on 86-87.
GMSierraon24s
Noob
Noob

Post by GMSierraon24s »

Okay, Im going to go with the air filter& spark plug. When you make sure it's properly oiled. What do you mean? Before I install it I should oil it? Thanks
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Start by downloading and reading the front of the Spree workshop manual. The workshop manual is at:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/manual ... Manual.pdf
Read the lower half of page 3-5 and the top of page 3-6.