1984 Spree Not Starting

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tomsivad
Noob
Noob

1984 Spree Not Starting

Post by tomsivad »

Hello Spree enthusiasts!

I bought a 1984 Spree a few months ago for school next year, and for a fun restoration project. I'm fairly new to this and though it's been a journey getting it to run smoothly, it never had trouble starting up. So far I've replaced the spark plug, rebuilt the carburetor with new internals, changed the oil, and have run some premium gas with some seafoam through it. After all the work it started to run pretty well. But a few weeks ago after it hadn't been run in a few days, it started to make this noise (can be heard in the youtube link). It sounds like it turns over a bit and then catches on something. I thought it might've been a battery problem, so I had it tested and it just needed to be charged. So I charged it up but still nothing! I'd take it to a shop to get it serviced, but it appears the nearest one to me (that will take a scooter that old) is about 40 minutes away and I'd rather save the money doing it myself. If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing this, and if there's anything I can do to fix it, please let me know!

https://youtu.be/THjP5afQ0tg
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1984 Spree Not Starting

Post by eclark5483 »

Bendix is bad. You can try oiling it a bit, that may or may not help, but sounds like you need another. Make sure it's one from an 84 or 85. The 86 and 87 are different.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1984 Spree Not Starting

Post by Meatball »

Try starting it with a drill on the variator nut. Be SURE to REMOVE the starter bendix before you do this and spin the drill in the correct direction. Have the key "on" and the red button on "run"....no brake handle needed for this method. Once it starts, pull drill off of the nut quickly. My 18v cordless drill has 3 speed/torque settings. Use the fastest speed setting.

I used this method while building a franken-bike some time ago. When it would die at a stoplight for carb related issues, I was able to "kick" start it by stomping down on the drive face with my foot. It gave it enough spin to fire up rather easily but only when warmed up. Trying this cold? Fuhgettaboutit!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.