Dies at top end

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

reitmeyer
Noob
Noob

Dies at top end

Post by reitmeyer »

85 Spree-purchased a couple weeks ago. Had to drain oil out of crank case, etc but have it running. Changed fluids but didn't do a carb clean yet.
Starts well, idles well, can drive it. If it go WOT, it revs, it get to 15-25MPH and engine dies. If I reduce throttle, it starts running again. I can play with it back and forth to get speed up but can never get it to run at WOT. What is it - clogged jet? Need a carb cleaning or am I missing something else?
Second issue - bike accelerates well from a stop at WOT but if I accelerate slowly, it feels very rough, cluncky. Clutch?
Thanks
motormike

Re: Dies at top end

Post by motormike »

Could be still some cleaning needed of jets... :?:
Could be some insufficient fuel delivery because of petcock screen, leaky vacuum hose, float needle damage or debris... :?:
Could be too much air getting into carb throat due to leaky airbox connections, or filter maintenance needed... :?:
Could be something I'm not thinking of... :?:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
reitmeyer
Noob
Noob

Post by reitmeyer »

It was too much air. I had the air box off and was test driving. I didn't think it would affect on top end but that was it. Thanks
Any idea on the clunky low end when accelerating slow? I think it has more to do with drive train than carb, etc. Not an issue if I go WOT from the blocks.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Most of the time, when getting a newly acquired scoot up and running, is spent returning it to its stock form. Sometimes un-doing what previous owners have done to them in search for more performance. Also trying to repair/replace items that have been ignored for many years due to neglect or just time sitting un-used. Something just as simple as an air fliter can wreak havoc on the proper operation of the Spree. Air leaks at the carb/intake area are common running issues as well as leaks at the exhaust connection.

It should be the first order of business when dealing with a 30+ yr old Spree that you replace a few cheap/simple items. Like air filter, spark plug, exhaust gasket, all fluids and fuel/vacuum hoses. All these would cost you only about $20 total. Then pick up a can of carb cleaner for $5 and give it a thorough cleaning.

Check for leaks everywhere around the carb/intake/reed area as well as the base of the jug and cylinder head. Test compression to ensure its within its proper range. When poking around the motor, pay close attention to anything that doesnt look stock, like holes drilled into the air filter box, modified exhaust chamber, home made wiring or other components that just look "off".

These steps take little-to-no money and will eliminate 80% of running issues that Sprees encounter. The other 20% are less common like crank seals, float needle, stuck/broken reeds, petcock valve and a few others.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

reitmeyer wrote:Any idea on the clunky low end when accelerating slow?
Take a look at the clutch.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Meatball nailed it. Nice, concise summary of the "To-Do" list for the new-to-you Spree owner.

I also concur with the clutch inspection. If you rough up the pads and the inside of the clutch bell - Carefully - with 100 sandpaper, you might improve the grip, but your description is consistent with an overheated, out-of-round bell.

The other thing to examine is the drive belt and the pulley faces that cradle it. I have measures belts that have considerable variation in width, measured at different points around the circumference. It's hard to imagine it not slipping when the narrower sections go across the pulley faces. The result might well be a Tug-Tug-Tug on acceleration, at a lower frequency than an oval clutch bell.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Jwpartsplus.com does clutch pad repadding for a reasonable price. I'd recommend before having it done, to buy some Leo Vince springs for the Yamaha Jog and use the yellow ones to replace the 30+ year old ones you have now. They can also bead blast the bell as well.