87 Spree idles but won't take any throttle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Masroor
Noob
Noob

87 Spree idles but won't take any throttle

Post by Masroor »

So i have a spree that has been sitting for about 4 years and I decided to try getting it going. I took apart the carb and fully cleaned it using the tutorial on this forum. I made sure all passage ways aren't clear using lots of carb cleaner and a needle. It has a fresh tank of gas. My issue is that I can get it to start and idle but as soon as I give it any throttle it bogs down and dies like it's running too rich. I can barely go above 5 mph. The part that doesn't make any sense is I have the mixture screw set to only 1/2 turn out. I know it's supposed to be set at 1.5 turns out but the scooter won't even start if I set it to that. And again it sound like to me that it's running too rich but even with the mixture screw all the way tight, it still behaves the same way. I checked if the petcock was good by sucking on the vacuum line and I had good fuel flow coming out of the fuel line. I checked the float by blowing on the fuel inlet on the carb and holding the float closed with my finger and it sealed fine, no air was escaping. I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 87 Spree idles but won't take any throttle

Post by Meatball »

Sounds like an air restriction. Like its getting enough air to idle but struggles as you twist the throttle and the demand increases.

A fresh air filter should be installed. A vital component that SEEMS insignificant but can be the difference on it running...or not. It can be had here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ5 ... p2&vxp=mtr

Another common problem is the muffler. These 2-stroke motors run much "dirtier" than other types and carbon builds up inside the exhaust over time. This is what we call "carbon cake" and can restrict air flow to result in the condition you describe. The easiest and most thorough way to remove it is to burn it out by means of placing the exhaust in a firepit/campfire and let it cook for an hour or two.

Theres also a possibility its starving for fuel. This would result in the same condition you describe. Supplying enough fuel to idle but cant keep up with the demand of higher RPM's.

Check fuel line for obstructions and vac line for leaks.

Also, theres an in-tank screen type fuel filter pressed into the bung of the fuel tank where the petcock valve is mounted. After removing the petcock, you see the edge of the plastic filter up in the hole. Ive had some pull out easily and able to clean/re-use them. Others were stuck in there and the only way to remove it was to destroy it. They can be had here and is #2 & #3 on the list: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

You said youve cleaned the carb so I assume you also cleaned the main jet?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Masroor
Noob
Noob

Post by Masroor »

Yea I cleaned the main jet and every other component of carburetor throughly.