1987 honda elite se50 issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jack ledbetter
Noob
Noob

1987 honda elite se50 issue

Post by jack ledbetter »

I have a 1987 honda elite se50. when first starting it it starts but then dies. I have replaced the carb , fuel and vaccum lines and vaccum operated fuel pump . If i spray starter fluid in it it starts and runs fine. Once it sits for a while and cools down it does the same thing , starts then dies
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1987 honda elite se50 issue

Post by Meatball »

Why did you replace the carb, was the original one broken? What carb did you replace it with?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jack ledbetter
Noob
Noob

Post by jack ledbetter »

We had them out riding back in the spring and mine suddenly lost power and would only go about 29 mikes an hour. We got back and it died and wouldn't start so my first thought was the carb so I ordered an aftermarket one and put on . Now after a busy summer I finally got a chance to tinker with it more. Last night once I got it started again and it warmed up it ran fine . So this time I left the air filter off and this morning it started right up so I have a new air filter ordered. Hopefully that is the problem , starving for air on the initial start up. What do u think?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The absolute BEST carb to use for these scoots is their stock ones unless the motor has performance modifications. Theyve been researched, tested, tuned and MADE to optimize a proper running condition for that particular combination of motor components. Any "One-size-fits-all replacement" carb you buy will need to be tweaked, massaged, tuned and worked over JUST to get it running "OK". What I tell everyone to do is take the money you were going to spend on a chinese generic carb and re-build the stock one with fresh gaskets and internals. In the long run, your scoot (and wallet) will thank you.

That being said, if you got that cheapo carb runnin good....run it! Those who've had success with those carbs are certainly in the minority. :peace:

PS: Welcome to the forum! Feel free to come back with any questions along the way. Most answers can be found with the SEARCH feature. :2thumbs:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth LedBetter:
We had them out riding back in the spring and mine suddenly lost power and would only go about 29 mikes an hour. We got back and it died and wouldn't start so my first thought was the carb...[Emphasis added.]
Maybe think again? There is nothing in your post that leads me to the conclusion that it must've been the carb in the first place. Carbs that are adjusted to run well in their scooters usually just keep on... um,... running well. It's when they SIT too long that they start to go wonky, as the fuel vaporizes and leaves Epoxy behind.

A clogged air filter, a broken reed, decreased compression, leaking crank seals or an exhaust becoming hopelessly clogged with carbon seem at least equally likely. Sometimes you just need a new spark plug - a lot easier to change than a carb. Maybe stop "adjusting" the carb and look for some of these other things?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH