Honda Elite SA50 Performance options?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Honda Elite SA50 Performance options?

Post by wesrb785 »

So I just bought a Honda Elite SA50 a couple of days ago and I'm wondering what I could do to make it faster. I'm still waiting for the head gasket i ordered to come in so I can get it running. I would like to maybe keep this low price I've heard these aren't the fastest, but I haven't ridden on mine yet so what are my options? I need to keep it 49cc so I can drive it legally without any tags.
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda Elite SA50 Performance options?

Post by ansneds »

First thing I did was get a new variator. You can find some cheap ones but I'd say it's worth it to get a polini variator. Pretty easy upgrade to gain mph.
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

Thanks, also I'm kinda new to all this so could it be the head gasket thats stopping it from starting?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

wesrb785 wrote:So I just bought a Honda Elite SA50 a couple of days ago and I'm wondering what I could do to make it faster. I'm still waiting for the head gasket i ordered to come in so I can get it running. I would like to maybe keep this low price I've heard these aren't the fastest, but I haven't ridden on mine yet so what are my options? I need to keep it 49cc so I can drive it legally without any tags.
Why did you need to replace the head gasket? Was the compression low?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

What YEAR is your SA50?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

My SA50 is a 1997. The head gasket needed replaced because it was all worn and leaky. I bought it from a guy who thought he knew what he was talking about. He said the carb needed replaced, because it wasn't getting enough gas, but he didn't even have the cables right. I hooked them all up and it almost kick started on its own ( he didn't have the keys, nor battery). I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it started right up for a brief moment, then died. Hopefully its only the head gasket. The cylinder is good. But it was filled with fuel when i took off the head. The head gasket should come in around Wednesday or Thursday, pretty excited. Also I found the keys when I was cleaning the gas tank with my friend, we thought it was dirt or maybe rust in the gas tank, but there we're literally keys in there like *. Anyway I'm pretty new to all this. This is my first mechanical repair job. Hopefully you guys can help me along the way.
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

Also could someone post a picture of there motor I have the a few lines connected but I need to connect all of them. I can't find a picture anywhere, not even in the manual
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Post pics of YOUR motor. Then we will try to assess the problem areas.

Sounds like your bike needs some serious love. You should get the basics done before running it...new spark plug, air filter, etc..

Then dump out all of the fluid from the crankcase.

Disassemble the carb and clean it as detailed in the wiki.

Get your exhaust situation figured out. Fix yours or get another stock one.

When something has been neglected for so long, prepare to spend some money to get it back in running condition.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

I'm getting a new spark plug tomorrow from Oreilley's the guy didn't know anything about it. He didn't even have the right spark plug in, maybe that would be another one of the reasons it was hard to start. I cleaned the carb yesterday. Anyways, I will post pictures of the motor in the morning, It's at my grandparents house, since I live in an apartment. Thanks for all your guy's help. I'm really glad I found this forum.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings :

Do yourself a favor. Unless O'Reilly is selling you an NGK B6HS plug, order one online.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

why online I ordered one from oreilleys its a NGK BR8HSA